Codecs I guess?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 in iMac late 2013. i5 4570/ 8GB/ 1 TB
Ok, I am new to the Mac and for the most part the experience has been great. I was a Chrome browser user in Windows and I have decided I wanted the full experience and stop the Google stuff (I even bought an iPhone 6 just waiting for me to activate it (was an android user)).

The problem I am having is web video codecs. I would assume that Safari is HTML5 ready so no issues there. I have flash installed so that should not be a problem. But I find that many video I come across do nothing at all. I search online and there is many paid options available for codecs. 2015 and Linux is better for codecs then a Mac?

Is there options? I thought most of the videos on the web were either flash based or HTML5. Honestly something I never really had to think about as nowadays most things just seem to work on the computers I have used. I pay more upfront for the Mac and have to search for things we don't have to think about on other platforms?

Realize, I am not bashing here, just wondering. Is there an open source solution or something?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Most videos are flash or HTML5. There are some that are not. Used to be you installed Perian and/or Flip4Mac and were done with it.
However, I don't think they've been updated for Yosemite. There are some codecs available for Quicktime if you can find them.
Depends on what you need.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most videos are flash or HTML5. There are some that are not. Used to be you installed Perian and/or Flip4Mac and were done with it.
However, I don't think they've been updated for Yosemite. There are some codecs available for Quicktime if you can find them.
Depends on what you need.

Funny, seems like the videos I was trying to view was HTML5. Get a loading screen and goes nowhere else.

It's a shame that I would have to use Chrome, I really like Safari. It's actually making me question my purchase. Since I hunt news and whatnot, what's the point if videos are a problem? I mean, my thoughts on purchasing this machine was getting rid of Google services and such. I come running back to a Google browser to fix a flaw that should not be there. I mean for a company that puts much importance into elegance and the end user experience (Apple), this is a bit disappointing.

Stuck with it though thanks to the latest snow and ice. Can't even think about driving two hours one way to return it, live with it I guess. I guess if old habits have to return, I could always install Windows on it and just be done. Just a bummer to find that about 2 grand gave me less then a Linux install would give me on my 800 dollar Linux laptop with better specs. I bought an experience or at least I thought.

Aggravating....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What sites are you accessing that you're having so much trouble viewing the videos??

If they are normal sites that provide normal access to you shouldn't need much extra, so I'll assume that they aren't "normal" viewing sites. ;)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What sites are you accessing that you're having so much trouble viewing the videos??

If they are normal sites that provide normal access to you shouldn't need much extra, so I'll assume that they aren't "normal" viewing sites. ;)

MSNBC is one. I viewed the source for the page and it should be HTML5 but a no go.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MSNBC is one. I viewed the source for the page and it should be HTML5 but a no go.

Don't know what you're difficulty is, but I can bring up msnbc: news, video and progressive community. Lean Forward. and watch all their videos using Safari and I have no special codecs installed. I can do likewise using my copy of Chrome 64 bit. Unless there are certain videos which require a special codec, you should be good to go with Safari or Chrome. I can't speak for Firefox because I don't use it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you have Adblock, Ghostery or any of these sort of extensions installed you're going to need to do disable them or whitelist a great many web sites. The main video is not going to play because you are blocking the ad that plays prior to you getting to see the actual video you want.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know what you're difficulty is, but I can bring up msnbc: news, video and progressive community. Lean Forward. and watch all their videos using Safari and I have no special codecs installed. I can do likewise using my copy of Chrome 64 bit. Unless there are certain videos which require a special codec, you should be good to go with Safari or Chrome. I can't speak for Firefox because I don't use it.

Thank you very much. That was the problem and now the videos work.

Strange, I run adblock on Chrome and no such problems. Oh well, happy this is fixed.

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.