Safari won't launch: error message 'Safari quit unexpectedly

Reaction score
Hey all, I have Mac OS 10.10.2 on my Macbook Air with Yosemite. I can't get into Safari at all to try to fix. I've been surfing Mac Forums to find the solution but nothing so far. Any ideas?
I've tried to delete Safari but I get 'can't be deleted or modified because it's required by OS X'. I've gone into Library Preferences and tried deleting the Safari plist but that doesn't do anything either. I can get into Mail fine.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download a fresh copy of Safari and install it over your copy. Let's see if that resolves the problem. Download from here.

OP
A
Reaction score
Download a fresh copy of Safari and install it over your copy. Let's see if that resolves the problem. Download from here.

Thanks for responding. I'm not sure how to download a fresh copy when I can't get online to do so. I only have Safari on my Mac. I've been using my friend's PC to post on this board. :|

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should always keep two browsers active if possible. Try downloading it on your friend's PC and place the image file on a flash drive and transfer it to your Mac. Otherwise you'll have no choice but to reinstall OS X in order to repair Safari. And I guess you have no backups?

OP
A
Reaction score
You should always keep two browsers active if possible. Try downloading it on your friend's PC and place the image file on a flash drive and transfer it to your Mac. Otherwise you'll have no choice but to reinstall OS X in order to repair Safari. And I guess you have no backups?

Lesson learned!

I now have another browser installed by way of a flash drive. I'll install a new copy of Safari once exams are over.

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Lesson learned!

I now have another browser installed by way of a flash drive. I'll install a new copy of Safari once exams are over.

Thanks for your help!

I assume that you're shutdown your Mac and rebooted, and also Repaired permissions on your boot drive?? If not, do so.

Then try Safari and see if it works. ;)

OP
A
Reaction score
I assume that you're shutdown your Mac and rebooted, and also Repaired permissions on your boot drive?? If not, do so.

Then try Safari and see if it works. ;)
Yep, I did that yesterday. I searched every thread here before posting and followed all of the suggestions.
Or are you suggesting that I do so again, now that Firefox is installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It wouldn't hurt, and maybe try booting up into Safe Boot Mode, run DU's Repairs and Verify again, and try Safari while still in SBMode. You may just have a conflict.

OP
A
Reaction score
Just a follow up: I called Apple, and they walked me through the reinstallation of Safari. All is well...and I have a back up browser now in case it happens again.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal. Thanks for posting back. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.