Long shut down on my imac???

Reaction score
I had something happen to me, friday night. I was at work, third week on the job. and its friday...I try shutting down my mac, and its taking forever..I mean forever...So I force shutting down my creative suit...and suddenly I get a popup saying Deleting....I am like what the .....so I say cancel......I go back and my files are ok...but why would my mac suddenly decide to delete some files....something wrong here...and if let say I go beack on Monday and my files are all gone...ARE THEY REALLY GONE, can I recover them! and if soo HOW?? cause I am nervous...I was like in shock....any light on this situation....and if I go back on monday and see all files gone, what do I do?

I HOPE SOMEBODY CAN SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS SITUATION....I am seriously worried of loosing my job on Monday when I come in....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As I read this, just make sure you have saved all your projects before you shut down!!

You may want to even try opening them to check. Then do your shut down. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Forever is what - five minutes, ten minutes, an hour?

As suggested it may have been saving work or doing a simple update. Fingers crossed. If you have an Epson printer or software, a new version, Version 3 was released by Apple on Friday.

OP
F
Reaction score
As I read this, just make sure you have saved all your projects before you shut down!!

You may want to even try opening them to check. Then do your shut down. ;D

Oh for sure I did, like I said I just came in this job, the other designer, use to save his backup on CD..really....this is a big university, and backup on CD....I sugested them a hard drive...and will get it on monday.

but....

My mac suddenly wanted to delete some files.I PRESS CANCEL....just before it shutdown, and the shut down was really long, but in all I did not shutdown, I sleep my computer at then end...can my computer delete files while on sleep mode :p...

just worried, and my files are gone...if they are deleted, what can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't panic..wait until Monday and all may be well and good and you have panicked for nothing!

OP
F
Reaction score
Don't panic..wait until Monday and all may be well and good and you have panicked for nothing!

I know probably you right!

but to stick to my question:

If my MAC is deleting files, is their a way to recover those deleted file! if so HOW

and one other thing, I notice on this IMAC, I would get a little rectangle white in the left part of the screen, would not go away...:p...oh boy !!!! I know right!

those would be my question in this thread!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If my MAC is deleting files, is their a way to recover those deleted file! if so HOW...

Keep/maintain backups of everything!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You of course do have everything backed up on an external hard drive in case the files are gone?

Reaction score
Guy's Let me explain this.

What is happening is creative suite is preventing the macintosh from shutting down properly and because of limited hard drive space the macintosh is deleting files to clear space to keep the machine running my simple solution is they have way to much stuff on the hard drive and its preventing the machine from operating correctly.

a external hard drive indeed and you need to run disk utility and make sure internet sharing is disabled as well it could be because this is a work computer someone could have the machines account information and be trying to log into the machine via a VPN and even more scary is that if this work machine was created with a special log on it might also be set to auto delete after logging off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.