Remove photos from Mac without removing from Facebook

Reaction score
Hi, I finally figured out how to delete photos from my Mac (and not just the album). I have saved to an external hard disk to create space on my disk. But now I am getting a message saying that if I delete from my computer, they will also disappear from Facebook. I do not want this to happen. Please help. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi, I finally figured out how to delete photos from my Mac (and not just the album). I have saved to an external hard disk to create space on my disk. But now I am getting a message saying that if I delete from my computer, they will also disappear from Facebook. I do not want this to happen. Please help. Thanks!

Hi MacNewbie.. - welcome to the forum! :)

Not sure that I can help much, but explain exactly how you are putting photos onto Facebook (FB) (I'm assuming that you are signing in via a web browser) - are you using your computer or an iPad w/ the FB app (I don't use the latter, so not sure if that is even pertinent).

On FB, I've uploaded dozens of photos and also have created photo albums - the images are actually 'uploaded' to the FB servers, so when I do delete them on my MBPro, the pics remain in FB, so quite not understanding why you are getting this behavior thus the reason for my questions.

Usually the event you described occurs on a forum where images from the web have been linked via its URL - when that image is deleted from its original web location, it's link will no longer allow the image to be shown in the other location. Dave

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi RadDave,

Thanks for your welcome and for replying. I downloaded the photos to my computer and put them in an album. I flagged the ones I wanted to upload. From Safari, I signed into FB and uploaded them normally into a new album.

I do not understand what the link is either but I tried to delete from my computer and effectively they disappear from FB.

I was able to put back on FB but all my comments disappeared.

Best,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If you uploaded your photos from iPhoto to Facebook then what you've described will happen. To stop that problem in future, drag and drop the photos that you want on Facebook to your Desktop. Then go onto Facebook in Safari and upload the photos from your Desktop.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you MightyGem; I had no idea that this was the case. I frankly have no problem with the photos I have uploaded to FB; but one learns something new every day. Like the OP and, I surmise, many others, I had no idea that deleting photos from iPhoto correspondingly meant deleting same from FB. I cannot recall this being explained anywhere in FB's tortuous policy, but that's hardly surprising.

Many of us are likely to be indebted to you for this info.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
If you uploaded your photos from iPhoto to Facebook then what you've described will happen. To stop that problem in future, drag and drop the photos that you want on Facebook to your Desktop. Then go onto Facebook in Safari and upload the photos from your Desktop.

Thanks MightyGem. Is there anyway I can get around deleting from FB now that my disk is full and I am obliged to delete photos off the computer?

C

chas_m

You can easily AVOID the issue by simply moving your iPhoto library to another disk. The FB link will be preserved, and you'll free up disk space on your boot drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
now that my disk is full
If your disk is full, you probably want to get rid of a bit more than a few photos. You can do as chas suggests and/or try Grand Perspective to see you any large files that you can get rid of.
GrandPerspective

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.