Synching MacBook Pro, IPhone 6s and iPad

Reaction score
I am trying to synch my IPhone 6s, MacBook Pro, and iPad and I can't get it to work. Since all my passwords are on keychain on the MacBook Pro, it's very difficult to use apps on the phone and ipad. Any suggestions?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you clarify a bit more about exactly what goes wrong when you sync. Also, how exactly have apps on the phone and iPad become difficult to use?

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry, guess I didn't phrase that well. I meant that on my iPhone and iPad, the passwords for my apps and social media, etc. don't appear and I have to manually type in all passwords. I spent 6 hours on the phone with Apple on Friday and not only is the problem not fixed but my computer has the wheel of death and is running very slow. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have iCloud setup on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac? And do you have iCloud drive turned on? If yes to all, you should be able to on your iPhone (iPad the same) tap settings, tap iCloud, and then tap the slider for "Keychain" to on. That should sync your passwords. And you can also sync your calendars, contacts, photos, etc, the same way.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply. I have iCloud turned on on all devices and keychain is on. Still no synch.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't mention which version of OS X you're running but open System Preferences, iCloud and make sure you have the Keychain box checked. Also, you should be using the same Apple ID on all your devices. If you've done all of the above, there's no reason why your Keychain passwords shouldn't sync.

I'm a bit concerned about your statement above where you say your computer has the wheel of death and running slow. How about including the specs for your Mac? Year and model. How much memory do you have and how much free space remains on your hard drive?

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for responding. iCloud Keychaiin is on on all three devices. I am using the same Apple ID on all devices.

MacBook Pro (13", mid 2010)
Running OSX Yosemite
Space left on HD 141.09 GB free of 249.2 GB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For now we'll try to resolve the keychain problem but if your MacBook Pro is showing the spinning rainbow, that needs to be taken care of.

Read through the following Apple KB article about setting up Keychain on your mobile devices and Mac. Go through the steps again even if you've done it before. There's quite a few steps in setting it up to work properly. The verification process alone if not done right will prevent Keychain from working properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.