Mid-2009 13 inch MacBookPro 5,5 doesn't like new ANKER battery. Faint Green light

Reaction score
Hello all
During Sep 2014, I noticed, on one day, that the Mac would not start. I discovered that the battery had swollen up. I removed the rear lid and disconnected the battery. I did not have the tri-wing screws so left the battery as such. I am also sure that after disconnecting the battery, the laptop charger glowed BRIGHT GREEN.

I am in India and some relation had brought an ANKER battery (from Amazon; it was rated higher than Apple's own battery) and twi-wing screw drivers from the US.

In Jan, I replaced the battery and upon powering the laptop I noticed the following :
a. The charger had a faint green light.
b. The battery was getting charged slowly.

Satisfied that I atleast had a fully-working laptop I did not use it for another 2 weeks.

I then realized that the laptop would not boot up if I connected the battery.

If I disconnect the batter from the battery pins, it would boot up, but with the faint green light.

So here are by doubts :
1. Is the battery defective ?
2. Why the faint green-light ? Does it need a DC-in board replacement ?
3. The laptop runs on half-the speed without a battery. Is this behavior caused by OS X or is it the way the hardware is designed ? I am willing to install Linux and live without the battery if the laptop runs on full CPU capacity.

My 8 year old Dell and 10-year old Thinkpad T40 are still soldiering on, so I am disappointed that the Mac is dying an early death.

Please advise. Thanks

P.S : Switching to the old swollen OEM battery does not help. The laptop won't boot. And without either battery the charger shows faint green light

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
Best advice was buy an Apple battery not third party.

Buying battery from non-OEM manufacterers? - MacRumors Forums

I couldn't agree more.

My battery went bad and I bought a NewerTech NuPower battery from OWC,
The battery had great reviews and OWC is a great company. But the battery was no good when I got it. It wouldn't charge at all..I emailed OWC and they told me to send it back and they sent me a new one immediately(again..great company). I get the new battery and one of the wires was kinked, so that one was bad too. I sent it back and got a full refund.. Drove to the Apple store and bought a battery...I wish I would have just done that in the first place and saved myself two weeks instead of $20...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.