Fraud from NTS IT CARE

Reaction score
And Nancy, being a victim is really nothing to do with age or idiocy. Fact is, we all want to trust people. It seems alien not to, and there are far more good persons out there than bad....it's just a lot of the latter seem to be attracted to IT.

And we've all done it - well I certainly have and you feel a complete and utter dunce. Join the club, the only club that tries to have fewer members each year, thanks to the Forums. I hope the sting was not too painful. Sorry.

Ian

You have made me feel a little better. I did get half my money back after I emailed NTS and told them one way or another I'd get my money back. They called me immediately and the only 'deal' they would offer is half. See, I used my debit card which I am canceling. I have changed my password to prevent them from accessing my data.

Reaction score
nts Fraud

Nancy who was the company for future reference and to help other users, if you do not mind of course?

One of the commonest here is a call from "This is xxxxxx from Windows Technical Services ~ You have a probem with your computer. We will take charge of the computer and fix it for you. Now what is your credit card number?" Many of these eminate from Manilla in The Phillipines.

The popup I received said I had a Trojan Virus and I should call a number. As far as I know the company is NTS IT CARE. I was talking with a man for about an hour and he did a scan that showed someone in Korea was trying to access my personal information. That's why I fell for the scam. He hooked me up with Bryan, a network guru to fix my problems. It was Bryan that wanted my card info. His email to me said the charge would appear on my statement as NTS IT CARE. I did manage to get half my money back.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The popup I received said I had a Trojan Virus and I should call a number. As far as I know the company is NTS IT CARE.

I'm sure there's multiple scammers with different messages all over the world. I'm sure it's an easy scam to replicate.

The company name & the exact scam wording doesn't matter. The important parts are:

- ignore the scam
- don't call the phone number
- don't give them access to your computer
- don't give them payment info

* Nick

S

seniorciz mike

NTS IT Care

Well, here is a new "old guy" on the block. It seems I have fallen for the same old line.
I am not a techie by any means, but I do manage to get by for my age. My iMac is early 2008, but is up to date. Lately, my computer was becoming very slow with numerous pop up ads. The same old story - message pops up with the Safari logo saying my system was locked down due to a Trojan Horse virus and if you call this number 1-855-789-6633 we can fix it for you. Well, I called and for a one time fee of $69 US, they said that they would fix it for me. I gave them permission, they took control and fixed it - I thought. Seemed everything was working fine as before. Now I try to open iTunes and some others and I can not. Messages appear like
"iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server 'init.itunes.apple.com'". Not just iTunes, but others. What is going on and what do I do to correct this mess?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What is going on and what do I do to correct this mess?

Sorry to say it. But you gave these scammer folks $69...gave them access to your computer...and now it's messed up. There of course was nothing ever wrong with the computer in the first place...before these guys got access to it. Who knows...maybe they messed things up on purpose...so you have to call them back again...and give them another $69 bucks. Again & again. Who knows. They could have infected your computer with something.

To be very honest (not knowing what these folks did when they had access). If it was me...it would be "nuke & pave" time. Which simply means. Reformat & erase the hard drive...then reinstall the OS and any applications you had installed.

A VERY tedious process. But I can't suggest any other way to be 100% sure any trace of these scammer folks tampering is eliminated.

- Nick

Reaction score
I'm sure there's multiple scammers with different messages all over the world. I'm sure it's an easy scam to replicate.

The company name & the exact scam wording doesn't matter. The important parts are:

- ignore the scam
- don't call the phone number
- don't give them access to your computer
- don't give them payment info

* Nick

I have learned the hard way not to do this again. I did manage to get part of my money refunded.

Thanks for your advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early '08), 2.4GHz, 4GB667MHzSDRAM, OS 10.10.5
I have learned the hard way not to do this again. I did manage to get part of my money refunded.

Thanks for your advice.

So it looks like the NTS guys are targeting early '08 macs, in my case a MacBook Pro. They have a new alarming "VIRUS DETECTED" message and a new number to call 866-324-2084. Hadn't seen this in 7 years of use, so I did call the number, they wanted me to log into "www.support.me" which shifts to "rescue by logmein", then they want you to enter a "secure" code they give you which would give them access to my laptop. Thats when my scam radar detector went to red alert. I hung up the phone. Called Apple support on my secure Blackberry (sorry folks they're still around) and got the lowdown. Logged into this site using my BB browser and found this link. Followed your advice, emptied the cache, deleted all cookies, ran the virus detection. I'm clean. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
They are targeting all Macs not just a model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.