iphotos missing

Reaction score
I imported a large number of photos to iphoto from my macbook HD, the"copy" box was not checked. Then because I'm short on HD space, I deleted the photos from my HD & emptied the "trash". Now I can see my photos in the PHOTO of iphoto, but when I try to add to an album or copy them, I get an error message "photo could not be opened because the original item cannot be found". Is there any way these photos can be recovered? I can still see them in iphoto, they must be stored somewhere...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
All you're seeing is a small thumbnail to represent the pictures. Because you didn't copy the photos into the iPhoto library it just pointed to where the originals were.

If you've deleted those originals and don't have backups you'll need to try a recovery tool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.