Trashing update download before restart

Reaction score
Is it possible to stop and delete an update after download from the App store, before restarted has occurred? OS 10.8.5
Thanks in advance.

OP
R
Reaction score
The updates are for five or six apps, such as, Epson printer software, iTunes, Safari, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
They are system updates from Apple. Let them run.

OP
R
Reaction score
That is not an answer to the original question. I would prefer to stop the updates from installing at the present time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That is not an answer to the original question. I would prefer to stop the updates from installing at the present time.

Then don't bother doing the updates because you can't "capture" them for later installation with most recent updates.

Only those that give you an option to download and save will give you that option.

The recent Apple software updates usually get installed "in place" and don't provide a file for installing. That's just the way they generally do it these days.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. One should be able to stop the update download while it is in progress. For some reason this was not an option. An example of what will happen upon restart, is that my iTunes logo will turn the color red. Perhaps it's too late for me to do anything about the updates that I mistakenly downloaded, but because a restart is necessary to complete the update(s), I thought there might be a way to locate the update file(s) and trash the ones I don't want before restart.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That change in color for iTunes came when version 12 was released. It's not an indication that there is anything wrong with the update. I think even those download can be paused during download but maybe not completely stopped.

Even if you could stop the download once you are prompted to restart it's probably to late to stop the process and keep the old version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thank you for your response. One should be able to stop the update download while it is in progress. For some reason this was not an option. An example of what will happen upon restart, is that my iTunes logo will turn the color red. Perhaps it's too late for me to do anything about the updates that I mistakenly downloaded, but because a restart is necessary to complete the update(s), I thought there might be a way to locate the update file(s) and trash the ones I don't want before restart.

Unless there's something you don't like about iTunes 12, I'd suggest just live with it and its changes. I got rid of IT 11 just after it came out and finally got IT 10.x installed back but it was a PITA to do so. A few years later we had to upgrade to IT 11.4 anyway to accommodate out iPads, but it worked better than the first 11.0 release.

As of the Software Update nags, I've finally been able to stop the iTunes 12 and Yosemite "update" nags, but it seem to take a while for the settings to work.

I got so tired of seeing possible App Store update badge numbers on my Dock, I just removed the App Store icon from my Dock - end of that problem. Now most the Notification nags have finally calmed down a bit, but often a daily reminder. A PITA annoyance!!

PS: Don't forget to check or change your App Store System Prefs settings for "auto install" etc.!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.