secure disk image, big minimum volume size

Reaction score
I'd like to make a secure disk image that I can keep passwords in. Disk Utility does that nicely, BUT the minimum volume size is 10.5MB. Why is that? I want to keep a few hundred K of material secure, and I need to allocate 10.5MB to do it??? Not a big deal, I guess, but it seems kinda silly.

Is there a way to make a smaller secure volume?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
10.5 MB is trivial in size and yeah, shouldn't be a big deal. But what I'm wondering is why you don't just use a password manager, like 1Password? It encrypts the password database so it's no less secure than what you are doing and has a lot of utility to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
10.5 MB is trivial in size and yeah, shouldn't be a big deal. But what I'm wondering is why you don't just use a password manager, like 1Password? It encrypts the password database so it's no less secure than what you are doing and has a lot of utility to it.

Also syncs cross-platforms. Very handy actually.. Oh and I'd do that.. and encrypt the entire drive while I was at it. Oh yea, actually I did :D

OP
D
Reaction score
1password sounds nice, but fifty bucks? Really? Geez. I don't need the extra utility for $50, I'd just like a secure compact place. A protected disk image is free, wonderfully secure, just not all that compact.

I suppose I could save them in a protected Word document, but it's handy being able to make secure a whole package of files

Again, why won't Mac let me create a smaller disk image? I just don't see what the need is for a minimum size. When I make a folder, I'm not required to make one that is 10.5MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Again, why won't Mac let me create a smaller disk image? I just don't see what the need is for a minimum size. When I make a folder, I'm not required to make one that is 10.5MB.

Consequence of the formatting scheme that is used in the format? *shrug* Don't know, and quite honestly don't care. Knowing isn't going to change anything, will it?

Ok ok.... I got curious and experimented with the options. The formatting scheme is EXACTLY why this is. If you change from "Mac OS Extended" to "MS-DOS (FAT)", then you can make one that's 2.5 MB in size. I wouldn't recommend it though... FAT isn't a very robust file system and is far more prone to corruption than Mac OS Extended is (or NTFS, for that matter). Bear in mind that you aren't simply creating an archive file... you are creating a virtual disk image that is treated as if it was a physical drive, and the formatting scheme of choice does have minimum size requirements of the drive/partition to be usable. If you had a 5 MB thumb drive (if such a thing existed), formatting it in Mac OS Extended would be impossible. There is a minimum amount of space for the file system to contain the directory and other hidden data inherent in a file system. FAT needs less space because it's also much less complex (and less robust as a consequence).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And apparently asking here won't either.

Although, he did give you the answer.

There really isn't a need to create such a thing either. You already have an app that will securely store your passwords and that no one can access without the password in Keychain Access - in the Applications/Utilities folder. You can create new notes, logins, store software registration keys, etc. there. Used it myself for about 3-4 years until the price of a good password manager became worth it to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Op is talking about the minimum size permitted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Op is talking about the minimum size permitted.

Thanks, I guess I misread it and 10.5MB wasn't large enough. ;D

For the small amount required, Keychain Access as mentioned and well suggested and I'd agree would be more than adequate. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.