My iMac keeps crashing

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My iMac (24"/3.06GHZ/2GB/500GB/SD/AP/BT) has begun crashing and freezing all of a sudden, I can turn on the iMac and it will work for 10 or less minutes before it crashes and then I can turn it on once or twice before I have to completely unplug it and wait about 30 minutes before I can use it again.But, when I do use it again the problem persists.

I have tried Cmd + Option + P + R which did not work and I have tried Cmd + R and using the disk utility tool which also did not work.

I have no idea what could be wrong I would appreciate it if someone could help me. Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You stated that you used Command + R. I'm assuming that you attempted to run Disk Utility to verify the hard drive? What did it say? And how about telling us which version of OS X you're running? It sounds like your hard drive may have failed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting back. It looks like Disk Utility says your hard drive is OK but that does not necessarily mean that it is really OK. Disk Utility only checks the file and folder integrity and bad blocks. How about copying and pasting your latest crash log here so we can take a look at what's going on? Is the machine rebooting when it crashes? I'm trying to figure if your iMac is going into kernel panic.

OP
V
Reaction score
As my iMac crashed upon launch I decided to launch it in safe boot and this is what it showed:
And my iMac crashes after it has launched or usually after the Apple logo is shown and instead of logging in a white screen appears.
Sorry the image is a bit blurry. Thanks for the help so far.

11003987_1025720827441278_1362149069_n.jpg

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that really doesn't help since it does not show us the entire crash log. However, if it's crashing in Safe mode that eliminates software and points directly to hardware. There are two common things that can cause those crashes: The hard drive, but yours appears to at least pass the verify test. The second thing would be the graphics processor (GPU). GPU failure on the 24" iMacs was in fact quite common. The graphics card in your iMac is on a separate daughter card which plugs into the logic board. It in fact can be changed out, however, a replacement card is quite expensive and it's not a job that's easy to do. And, we can't really be sure that the GPU is the culprit.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks for the help I really appreciate it, at least now I know the two main things it could be. I guess I'll have to get a person who fixes computers to check what is wrong as it will be easier for them to do it in person and then get it fixed. Thanks for all the help you gave me :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.