Samsung Evo 850 Perfomance Issues

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my Mac Pro 2009 Quad Core 2.93GHz 8GB DDR3 with a Samsung 850 EVO SSD with 500GB storage space.

When I press the power button it takes 5 seconds for the startup sound to play and another 38 seconds to boot... :|

I installed TRIM since I have 10.6.8 running. The benchmark score (attached) shocked me since the drive only wrote at 134 MB/s whereas the max for this drive is at ~500MB/s

Any ideas on how I got here would be nice :/

Screen shot 2015-02-19 at 4.40.46 PM.png

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey Harry, thanks for the reply. I thought native support was only available from OS X Lion on... Thanks for the heads up.

I dumped TRIM Enabler and flushed the cache. Seems the volume bitmap was corrupted, so I ran a disk repair, repaired permissions, rebooted but same result. This time it took 10s till the startup tone and then another minute to boot... :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Give it a few days as it will have to re-index all over again and hate to say it but don't like Samsung anythings!

There have been Firmware Updates for Samsungs in Macs. Read the list. How did you put the operating system on the Samsung? If cloned they do recommend their own hardware. Personally always do a clean install of the OS, and then use Migration Assistant. Saves copying ny platter problems to the SSD.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah true, I only read about the Crucial SSDs after I bought the Samsung,... :/ You don't even get the RAPID mode that they are advertised with like on a windows....

I checked the firmware updates. Sadly theres only one for the 840 Evo and the 850 Pro. I had a 840 Evo installed before so I thought I'd just clone it over with CCC since it's more or less the same drive... (to my demise as I notice now). I was just too lazy since last time it took me 3 days to do a fresh install since I have so many pro audio apps and samples.

Guess thats my only option now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't you run an external backup hard drive? That will be the quickest way. Install OS X and then hook up external and use Migration Assistant to transfer everything cross. If no backup, now is a good time to start!

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem: corrupted bitmap over and over again...

Hey Harry, thanks for the reply. I thought native support was only available from OS X Lion on... Thanks for the heads up.

I dumped TRIM Enabler and flushed the cache. Seems the volume bitmap was corrupted, so I ran a disk repair, repaired permissions, rebooted but same result. This time it took 10s till the startup tone and then another minute to boot... :[

Hi. I swapped my old HDD with an SSD.
I cloned my Snow Leopard HDD into the new SSD 850 EVO 500GB (using disk utility) and I'm getting grey curtains, kernel panics, corrupted bitmap (and asked to use the disk utility from Mac OS install cd) over and over and over again... I've tried with Trim Enabler, without trim enabler, and I've got the same issues.
Then I tried installing the 10.5.8 that came with my computer (Macbook Pro 5,2 17" early 2009), and then update to 10.6.8 with an original RETAIL dvd and same issues again: disk corruption.

There are no firmwares for the 850 EVO SSD for mac users in the Samsung official web site.

Did you find a solution?
I don't know what to do.
I just put back my old HDD inside my Macbook Pro and everything works again perfectly, but I would like to use the SSD I purchased.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only suggestion I could give is avoid Samsung appliances like the black plague! Then again that is only me and my experience with Samsung cameras and SSDs. Try formatting the Samsung and do a clean install ~ according to Mactracker your MBP actually came with OS X.5.6 so are you 100% sure you got the right grey coloured DVD?

Reaction score
The only suggestion I could give is avoid Samsung appliances like the black plague! Then again that is only me and my experience with Samsung cameras and SSDs. Try formatting the Samsung and do a clean install ~ according to Mactracker your MBP actually came with OS X.5.6 so are you 100% sure you got the right grey coloured DVD?

Yes, I wrote it wrongly. It's not the 10.5.8. The dvd Mac OS I have is the 10.5.6, and it's the one that came with my macbook pro 5,2 early 2009, so I have the right one. I'll try again to do a clean install.

The Samsung customer support phone in Netherlands told me that my SSD (850 EVO 500GB) is fully compatible with mac, and told me to try to use an updated OS (Yosemite), and not the more-than-five-years-old ones I'm using.
Anyways, to do that, I have to come from 10.6.8 and then update to Yosemite from there, so I have to start my way as this:
- Install 10.5.6 (the OS and utilities that came with my Macbook Pro early 2009)
- Update to 10.6.6 with a retail original dvd I have.
- Update to 10.6.8 cliking at 'software update'.
- and then install the Yosemite OS from App Store.

My disc can't be seen in a Windows 7 PC using the 'Samsung Magician' utility, and also the SSD can't be seen from the 'My Computer' window.
I'm starting to think that my disc is defective.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My disc can't be seen in a Windows 7 PC using the 'Samsung Magician' utility, and also the SSD can't be seen from the 'My Computer' window.
I'm starting to think that my disc is defective.

That's certainly a good sign that your Samsung is DOA. Get a RMA and send it back, or better still, get a refund and purchase an OWC SSD which will work as advertised.

Reaction score
I've got some news!
After checking and checking, now I know that the Samsung SSD EVO 500GB data gets corrupted when installed inside my Macbook Pro (early 2009). Failures start to appear when the disc is plugged internally.
All the operations done with the SSD in an external USB enclosure worked perfectly, also booting, updating software... everything works.
But as soon as I plug the SSD internally I get data corruption, grey curtains, and I'm invited to repair the disc with DISK UTILITY. Even if it can get repaired, it will get corrupted again and again.

Reaction score
I sent my SSD to the customer service, they replace it with a new one and sent it to me.
Now everything is OK and working. That means my previous unit was defective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fingers crossed for you but your story is oh so typical!

Reaction score
startup delay.

I recently upgraded my Mac Pro 2009 Quad Core 2.93GHz 8GB DDR3 with a Samsung 850 EVO SSD with 500GB storage space.

When I press the power button it takes 5 seconds for the startup sound to play and another 38 seconds to boot... :|

I installed TRIM since I have 10.6.8 running. The benchmark score (attached) shocked me since the drive only wrote at 134 MB/s whereas the max for this drive is at ~500MB/s

Any ideas on how I got here would be nice :/

The startup delay can easy be fit by going to your settings...
select starupdisk....
select new sad disk...
restart...
done

this happens as many install OS X on their new SSD extnerly. And then as but in internal
your mac is then looking for this external disk. when it can find it it find your then it select your new internal sad.

this method fix this issue and your mac will from now have your internal SSD as startup disk.

david

Reaction score
Ok however the 5-10 sec boot start has nothing to do with defective disk. If you experience this after changing disk. My metod will solve this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.