Safari bookmark icons won't return

M

MacInWin

I had a crash of my MBP a couple of days ago, caused by Flash according to the logs, which has reset Safari. Now I don't seem to be able to recover the icons for my bookmarks. I've attached a screenshot of the problem. On the icons there is the generic blue globe for most of the bookmarks. When I visit the sites, I expect that the icon will be replaced by the website icon, as it is for this website in the screenshot, but when I close Safari, all of them revert to the blue globe again. I did a quick search but didn't see anything on the web that addressed this, so I turn here to see if any of the wizards have a suggestion for me. I've don't the usual (permissions, verify drive, Onyx, etc) but no change in behavior.

System is MBP 8,3, 10.10.2, Safari 8.0.3. Everything else is up to speed. Two addins for Safari, Ghostery and 1Password, both up to date.

Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 10.19.42 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I found a discussion on Apple's forums, and here's a solution that worked for a couple people:

Just delete the ~/Library/Safari/Touch Icons/ folder

Relaunch Safari, then it will download them all again.

EDIT: Wait a sec... that seems to be a slightly different problem. I just took a look at that folder on my Mac and those aren't the smaller favicons. I have an idea... brb.

EDIT 2: Ok, same location, but try deleting WebpageIcons.db
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2111535

If this doesn't work, you may have to manually fix the permissions in your Library folder.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I had a crash of my MBP a couple of days ago, caused by Flash according to the logs, which has reset Safari.

I believe member Lifeisabeach gave you the solution but I just wanted to mention that this is a real PITA with Safari. Anytime it gets reset or you have a problem with bookmarks, the same thing occurs - all the favcons revert back to the generic blue globe. Doesn't happen in Chrome or Firefox, only Safari. Surely Apple can change this behavior?

OP
M

MacInWin

Thanks, lifeisabeach, that sorted it. I couldn't think of the term "favicons" so searching for "bookmark icons" didn't find that discussion. It's a pain to have to visit each site just get that icon, but at least it's now being remembered!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.