• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New RAM in my Mini.. Benchmark results..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Hello Everyone,
Not a tech help question. Those go in the help forums..

So, I ordered 2x 8GB (16GB) RAM kit from OWC a few weeks ago and it finally arrived today. I couldn't wait to install it in my little Mac Mini and see if it helped.

I noticed the RAM was made by Samsung. Which makes me very happy. I dont notice any speed buffs. Although I was using FCPX tonight and it seems smoother, but I wasn't doing anything tasking. So will know for sure when I got a dual mutlcam clip going on with 3 separate audio sources including background music.. That should see how it really performs.

Here are some benchmarks, I noticed the new RAM tested slower. However over all score was higher.. Strangely enough, Novabench didn't test my disc speed like I thought it should.. So I will include a bench result from Black Magic..

Cheers,
Joe

Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 1.28.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 1.45.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 2.33.05 AM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here are some benchmarks, I noticed the new RAM tested slower. However over all score was higher..

If you haven't already. Run the test multiple times. When I've run benchmark tests…the results do show some variability.

- Nick

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
If you haven't already. Run the test multiple times. When I've run benchmark tests…the results do show some variability.

- Nick

They come out very very close each time. Of course I reboot before running them.. So that helps with consistency..

BTW, FCPX while isn't over all faster, it is however is much smoother running. There used to be some jerkiness when working with hugely complex projects, but now its not even an issue. Exporting times are the same though, maybe slightly faster on large complex videos. But I didn't figure much would change any, other then the jerky lag..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What you describe is what the additional memory will do for the machine, not make the CPU faster.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you describe is what the additional memory will do for the machine, not make the CPU faster.

Fully aware of that. ;D
But sometimes when working with super large images, videos or just massive DB files. Systems with lower RAM have move the files from in and out of disc cache eating up processing resources that could have went to processing the data. Thus more RAM frees up IO and lets you have more power to doing what you want.

What this goes to show is again how good Apple is in programming their OS and FCPX. Being able to run faster on less hardware as compared to a PC.. I am sure I will notice a larger difference when I start editing hour long wedding videos then I would otherwise with 8GB. But for anyone just wanting to do 10-15mn youtube videos. The extra 8GB wasn't worth the money really. Sad part is I had to buy 2x 8GB chips other then just one more 8GB since I had 2x 4GB chips.. But I rather use matched pairs for stability anyway.. Just put the others up incase of that slim chance I have a RAM failure in the future..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Run a large number of image stitch, then remove the RAM and do the same thing.. timing it both times ;) Much better than a benchmark test since it's probably closer to actual workflow.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Run a large number of image stitch, then remove the RAM and do the same thing.. timing it both times ;) Much better than a benchmark test since it's probably closer to actual workflow.

no doubt.. I occasionally stitch some 100+MP panoramas together in PS. Looking to see if it does help any.. But feeling I want notice any real difference unless I go much much larger..

But hey, Canon just released a new EOS 5D (5DS, 5DSR) with a 50 Mega Pixel Sensor.. But, no money for camera.. LOL.. Would make some large panos though.. Just incase someone here wants to donate one to me.. I promise to take really good care of it.. :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
HAH! Sure, right after I get a digital back for my 503c ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.