Coverflow view - turn off "caption"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini / I5 / 16 Gig / 256 SSD
Is there a setting / preference for turning off the little white-box "caption" at the bottom of the Coverflow view? It often blocks the content I'm trying to see.

Thanks in advance;
Bill

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forums!

Are you talking about the cover view in Finder? What version of OS X, what Mac? When I go to that view in Finder on my system, the file/folder name appears for a few seconds and is then replaced by two arrows. None of that cover up anything on the image view on 99% of the things I tried. In fact, it was 100%, but I didn't exhaustively test it on every file/folder.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More Cover View Info

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I'm talking about the Cover Flow view in Finder. Mac Mini / OS/X Yosemite (10.10.2). When using Cover Flow, there's a little white caption in the view box, and it often gets in the way of what I'm looking for. Wondering if I can turn it off. Screenshot below.

Thanks!
Bill

cover-flow-caption.jpg

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cover Flow follow-up

Great idea... But (with all due respect) not happening on my Mac. Been sitting on the same pic - just for a little test - for 5+ minutes now. Still got the caption. :|

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, you can't turn it off. If you did, you wouldn't have a clue what any of the folders are without needing to look at the name below.

If you want to see more of an individual item, would suggest you hit the space bar to get a preview of it.

The whole thing is sort of screwy here and what happens with the displayed file/folder name depends on whether it's a folder/file and what type of file it is and whether you have the cursor on the item or somewhere else on the screen and it doesn't always do the same thing, even with the same file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.