new folder creation is never empty!

Reaction score
For the past few weeks, when I click to make a 'new folder' on the desktop, the folder creates but then automatically fills itself with what looks like everything on the desktop, which of course defeats the purpose. I have never had such a thing happen before and have used this computer for years. I even upgraded to the Yosemite version, but the problem still exists. Can anyone help please?

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum!

So the problem started before Yosemite? What version were you running then? What Mac do you have. Is the "filler" what is on the desktop, or just "looks like" that? We need a bit more information and some precision so we can try to help. Read the link in my sig and post again, please.

OP
B
Reaction score
OSX Yosemite on older 2008 iMac. Not sure what previous version was but didn't have the problem of new folder automatically filling itself until recently, not immediately after any upgrade. The new folder has so much on it that I can't include it all here, but it looks like a duplicate of the desktop, complete with programs. For example, I can click inside of the folder on what's there and those items will open--such as on the 'documents' and it brings all those up so that I can open them from inside this new folder. Very weird. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
What is the name of this folder? I know this might sound like "duh everyone knows that" but in Finder, when I open it, the default is to show what looks like a folder called "All my files". When I first saw that I thought everything had been duplicated but in reality it was just showing me everything on my drive.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What is the name of this folder? I know this might sound like "duh everyone knows that" but in Finder, when I open it, the default is to show what looks like a folder called "All my files". When I first saw that I thought everything had been duplicated but in reality it was just showing me everything on my drive.

Lisa

I'd take a guess that Lisa is correct or close, and is the OP selecting command+N (that creates a New Finder Window) or shift+command+N (that creates a New Finder Folder).

Close but sure not the same… :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.