No "answer" option in FaceTime

Reaction score
New Macbook pro bought in December. Trying to use FaceTime for the first time on this device yesterday, and when I am receiving calls, there are no "answer/decline" buttons showing so I cannot answer a call. Only shows a "end call" option. I have used FaceTime many times on other devices, so I know what it should look like, and the buttons simply are not there. Tried under Test log-in, and same thing happened. Also tried in Safe Mode- same thing. Is reinstalling the OSX going to be my only option? It is saying that will take 27+ hours after I let it go for 3 hours!

FaceTime is version 3.0. Built in mic and camera work fine. Pop-ups are enabled. My Apple ID is correct and has the checkmark next to it indicating it was verified. What else can I try?

OP
S
Reaction score
Did an Apple support chat. They had me try to repair two plist files, and that did not work. Guess I am going to have to reinstall the OSX (not interested right now) or wait for an update to come out for FaceTime. Disappointing.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This may be pointless but open Disk Utility in Applications > Utilities and repair Permissions. It is most likely a preferences list problem but sometimes this works. Normally I would just suggest deleting the plist because they are recreated when you open the app anyway. As a last resort you may want to try deleting the plist files apple tried to get you to repair.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
S
Reaction score
Rod Sprague: thank you for your help. I tried both suggestions today, but still have the same problem.

Slydude- thank you as well. I do not have Yosemite- but I will see if I can find something similar. I appreciate the help.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are combo updaters for each version of OS X. It probably won't solve the problem but shouldn't do any damage. Which version of OS X are you running?

OP
S
Reaction score
Currently running Maverick, but I think I am going to go ahead and update to Yosemite. I have been avoiding doing so, but think I will just give it a try. Thanks again!

OP
S
Reaction score
For the record, I did update to Yosemite today, and now FaceTime is working fine.
I appreciate all of the suggestions!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad that worked out. Here's hoping you enjoy Yosemite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.