"File, Find, Searching "This Mac" or "New Finder Window" not finding files ?

Reaction score
"File, Find, Searching "This Mac" or "New Finder Window" not finding files ?

I have an iMac 7,1, Mac OS X 10.6.8, Build 10K549,

I have noticed on many occasions recently that when I ma using either ...
File, Find, Searching "This Mac"
or
"New Finder Window"

I am NOT finding the files I am looking for ...

I now they are there, so I go through all my folders, and find the files, or folders I am looking for ...

So why could this be happening, why are they not found in the search ?

Is there a fix or addition ?

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Sounds to me, that Spotlight needs a little tender reindexing.

Try forcing Spotlight to reindex the drive. Go to System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy and add your hard drive to the list. Than remove it. Spotlight should begin reindexing.
Your Mac will slow down while this process is happening, especially if you have a lot on your HD, but be patient and let it do what it needs, and once done restart.

If that doesn't help, drop back in, and we can move on from there.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the reminder TM I was having that problem with at least one of my external drives. Hadn't gotten around to troubleshooting it yet. This should fix it right up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
fluffs . . . good to hear reindexing the hdd worked. Recently I was in a situation where I needed to find several bad files and folders. A forum memeber highly recommeneded an app called Find Any File. I downloaded and installed this app and it was money well spent ($6). FAF uses a different method to perform its searches and it is very inutative. FAF works very well. I thought I would throw out this alternative for future searches..

I'm glad you have Spotlight doing as it should.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.