Installing windows

Reaction score
I just have some questions regarding windows 7 installation on my MBP...

I downloaded Windows 7 from my school as it's free. Once it finished downloading do i just drag the file over to an empty flash drive or do i have to encrypt the files to the flash drive? OR do i have to burn the file to a CD?? which is the better and safest option?

Once i open the boot camp assist, what do i choose under ISO image?
lets say i decided to copy windows 7 folder to the blank flash drive and when i open boot camp, it already has ...../Users/myname/Downloads/SW_DVD5_Office_Mac_Standard_2011_English_MLF_X16-99088.ISO.......as the iso image and the destination as my blank flash drive.

is this correct?? I'm scared to click next because i don't wanna screw this up, please help me make sure I'm doing it correct!!

OP
C
Reaction score
The links don't help me much...
It says only to use disk but I'm seeing a lot of people use a flash drive?
What happens if I don't back up anything?? I have installed windows word, pwp, excel...will those get erased as well??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends cookie on the model of your Mac how you install. If it has an optical drive you have to burn the .iso to a DVD and use that in BootCamp or a virtual machine. If a newer model with no optical drive, then the USB flash drive is the route to go.

OP
C
Reaction score
Depends cookie on the model of your Mac how you install. If it has an optical drive you have to burn the .iso to a DVD and use that in BootCamp or a virtual machine. If a newer model with no optical drive, then the USB flash drive is the route to go.

I got it all figured out, THANKS!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well share the information as others may well be helped by your experience.

OP
C
Reaction score
I downloaded windows 7 from my school website, then I went and downloaded parallels (trial version first)...just follow the steps from parallels and....voila!!!

Btw I'm liking parallels a lot lol works great with my Mac and I love how I can have windows on the same screen as my Mac OS.

Reaction score
Technically, you didn't get it "all figured out." Your initial question was about using Boot Camp. Parallels has nothing to do with Boot Camp. Parallels is desktop and server virtualization software that allows you to run Windows within your OS X installation. Boot Camp allows an actual installation of Windows separate from the OS X install. But if you're happy with the results, that's really all that matters.

OP
C
Reaction score
You do make a good point. I'm really happy for now tho. Couldn't I install windows using boot camp in the future since I can just burn the ISO file to a DVD-R??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.