Good free text editor and IDE for OS X

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this isn't the right place.

I do java programming, and right now I'm using Text Edit for my classes; but it doesn't allow for formatting like Word;so it can be difficult when I'm trying follow proper coding conventions.
Are there any free or cheap Text Editing apps out there that can let me do this?

Same question for any IDE's out there; I like using a text editor, but sooner or later I'll probably have to use an IDE; but not one that's too complex. My earlier versions of OSX came with X Code, but it doesn't seem to be on Yosemite. I suppose I could learn to use that, but if so, where can i get it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Give TextMate a try. LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
for Java?

For IDEs.. xCode, eclipse, netbeans.. there's a lot of choices. For a pure editor though I prefer Sublime.

Oh, and you need to download xCode from the App Store, and it is free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I love using Textastic. You can also download one for your iPhone and iPad if you have one. Really like using it with Handoff, as well as iCloud Drive too.
It has syntax highlighting support for more than 80 source code and markup languages and one of them is Java., and also compatible with Textmate definitions and themes.

IDE you will need Xcode, as others have said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
textwrangler is also pretty nice. It is my coding editor of choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
textwrangler is also pretty nice. It is my coding editor of choice.

textwrangler is a good editor, I have it and do use it.. I find the find/replace to be better for me in sublime, as well as the plugins being extremely handy. Actually, I have sublime, textwrangler and Xcode open most days at the same time (sometimes eclipse, but I really don't like eclipse all that much..)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're served well with Java - Eclipse and NetBeans being the big IDEs for Java. Any text editor with syntax highlighting will work too if you want something no fuss.

One thing to note - Xcode, as far as I know, hasn't supported Java in ages so it will be of little to no use for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're served well with Java - Eclipse and NetBeans being the big IDEs for Java. Any text editor with syntax highlighting will work too if you want something no fuss.

One thing to note - Xcode, as far as I know, hasn't supported Java in ages so it will be of little to no use for you.

Gah, I forgot about Xcode's java drop.. I always end up using eclipse, that must be why ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.