Adding a hard drive to my mac pro, how do I clone my current drive to it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro 3,1
I just bought an older 3,1 mac pro with a 1tb HD. I bought a 2tb harddrive and have physically installed it, now I want to clone the original HD to the new 2tb drive and install windows onto the original 1tb drive. Is there an easiest way to do this? I am in the process of using time machine to back up the original HD, then "restore" the new 2tb drive using time machine. After that, I was going to erase the old 1tb drive and install windows 7 on it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just bought an older 3,1 mac pro with a 1tb HD. I bought a 2tb harddrive and have physically installed it, now I want to clone the original HD to the new 2tb drive and install windows onto the original 1tb drive. Is there an easiest way to do this?

Carbon Copy Cloner

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro 3,1
would like to avoid buying a program that I otherwise don't need, is it possible to do from a time machine backup like I had originally planned? I am very new to all of this, and my experience in the past is that using apps like that usually lead to me getting lost in the process..I like the apple provided apps because they are so easy to use, like time machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I suppose you could backup your current hard drive with Time Machine then install the new hard drive, disconnect the old drive and do a fresh install OS X on your new drive. Then hook up your time machine drive and restore your apps and data.

But chscag gave you the best advice. Yes, CCC will cost you but it will continually make a bootable backup of your hard drive and it is highly reliable.

Carbon Copy Cloner for Mac | MacUpdate

Lisa

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro 3,1
Ya, i appriciate the suggestion, but I just don't want to spend $40... I don't have a disk copy of yosemite, how do I install it on the new hard drive?

Sorry, all this is new to me..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Spend the money.

Why? Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper make a clone of the hard dive which is bootable which is great for checking No. 1 disk. A Time Mchine backup is not bootable.

Both have the capacity to do a say weekly backup saving any changes to your No. 1 system hard drive. SuperDuper is available for a trial download and costs $27.95:-

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I remember correctly the trial version of Carbon Copy Cloner will do a bootable clone. You can also use Disk Utility and the restore tab to create a clone though I am not sure whether it copies the recovery partition.

If you are going to use Disk Utility to do this it is probably best to boot from the recovery partition and run Disk Utility from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The advantage of registered CCC or SD is that they can easily do a weekly backup as suggested, where DU will only do a full complete Restore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.