How to open my 27" Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Need to get to the stuck DVD in my optical drive. The U-tube video on an 2009 post does not work with my Mac. I realize I can and probably will buy an external DVD drive, but am currently stuck with trying to remove the DVD in my current drive. I tried sticky tape and all the other suggestions to no avail. Just need instructions how to open up this Mac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chscag - Many thanks. I printed out the 10 pages on opening my EMC 2429 iMac. Don't have the suction pullers, but read where some guys used a credit card to separate the magnetic glass from the case. I'll try that later. I also opened an account with OWC and ordered an external optical drive cause mine may be shot...or damaged. I'll open another post about maximum RAM on my model iMac.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have the spudger but do have anti-static wrist bands and other tools from my electronic background in repair.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Be careful if you use the card. I just used a Knife Sharpener that has a large suction cup with level to stick it to a drainboard. It worked and not an issue removing now maybe 6 times!

Do you have a harbor Freight store in your city? My friend got the same cups there as OWC for almost nothing!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No Harbor Freight store here on Oahu or anywhere in Hawaii. Lowes or Home Depot may have something. Need an excuse to go into those stores anyway. A person can never have enough tools or gadgets. Read a post where one guy used a toilet plunger to grip the glass. Don't believe I'll try that...yet.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No Harbor Freight store here on Oahu or anywhere in Hawaii. Lowes or Home Depot may have something. Need an excuse to go into those stores anyway. A person can never have enough tools or gadgets. Read a post where one guy used a toilet plunger to grip the glass. Don't believe I'll try that...yet.

Hahahha! That just made my night! Toilet Plunger! No, I would not try that! :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Suction cups are the recommended way to remove the glass, and they are cheap. You can also slide your nails under the glass in the top left corner, pulling it away enough to then run your fingers along the top to the right pulling the glass away from the top magnets. Then pull down from the top, up and away. Don't stress the glass, it's reasonably flexible but can crack/shatter. The worst part of what you plan doing is getting rid of the dust you'll disturb, it will settle on the LCD and inside of the glass.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
A person can never have enough tools or gadgets. Read a post where one guy used a toilet plunger to grip the glass.

Been trying to convince my wife of that for years. Unfortunately she's not buying it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Removing the glass was easy. Fingernails work. Took me a while to figure out how the display ZIP connector fit and the chrome clips to hold it in place. Put it back together but no display. Will take it apart later today and see if a connection or something came loose. If not, will look for a repair shop somewhere. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Typing on a 2009 Sony VAIO desktop. Sad.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're anywhere around Honolulu, there should be an Apple Store nearby. Just take the machine on in to them. However, I've read that disconnecting the display from the chassis is a very delicate operation. Some folks reporting that they accidentally broke one of cables or connectors during the dismantling process. You probably need to take a close look at all the connectors and cables.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

There was a far easier way to get that DVD out, but too late now. Good luck on the repair.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you post it anyway Chas as it might help someone else later who stumbles on this thread?

C

chas_m

1. Shut off Mac.
2. Put towel down on table.
3. Turn and position the Mac in such a way that the optical drive is hanging over the edge of the table, pointing downwards.
4. Turn on Mac. Hold down mouse button/trackpad button. Keep holding it.
5. This forces an eject attempt. Gravity should do the rest of the work for you.

Reaction score
I did that, but didn’t position the mac any special way. It just ejected the disk, nice and normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch early 2009 iMac, 2.66GHz, 8 GB, 10.8.5, 319 GB Hard Drive
A while back I had this problem with a stuck dvd, and a relative said I could pull out the dvd with a thin pair of tweezers, although I might risk damaging the dvd. I tried it and it worked, and the dvd was fine.

Skillet01

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm a bit late here with a suggestion for a stuck disk, and maybe using part of chasm's suggestion, but I have never failed with some double sided tape or just wrap a bit of duct tape (sticky side out) around a strip or two of an old credit card or similar material and maybe some thin long nose tweezers.

And maybe holding down the mouse key with a restart to assist ejecting the stuck disk, it never failed me yet.

So maybe for the next time… ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I no longer have that problem with my 2013 iMac.... My two external drives behave themselves very nicely. And if a disk does gets stuck, I just use a paper clip in the unlatch slot and the tray pops open. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.