Setting up accounts in Mac Mail

Reaction score
I think I must have a hole in my brain where email accounts are concerned. I've been programming Macs since the very first machine. Yes, I had a 128K Mac and the Lisa system to write code for it, and I've been programming Macs ever since. I've used a bunch of different languages and messed with the Apple OS quite a bit, although now I'm using more generic approaches: Java, XML, that kind of thing.

But somehow, in all this, I have NEVER been able to configure an email account. I ALWAYS get stuck somewhere along the way and end up being bailed out by somebody else. I suspect it's because I have never taken the time to learn how to do it right. After all, I needed to set up a new account when either 1) I changed ISPs or 2) I changed Macs. This was rare enough that I always tackled it on a purely ad hoc basis and never took the time to learn the underlying material.

But recently I wanted to give an older Mac of mine to a little old lady who is a friend, and I realized that I would need to configure her email. So I set off on a journey to discover how to do this.

I failed. After much searching, I cannot find a simple general explanation of how to set up an email account on Mac Mail.

So my question is this: does anybody know of a general tutorial on the topic? There are lots of single-task question topics on various help boards around the Web, but they always seem to turn on some specific problem the user had.

Or is this topic so utterly messed up that no sane person wants to learn all the details?

Thanks for the help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Always go direct to the provider of the email service. Most of them have step by step instruction for setting up their email.

A google search for:
"gmail setup on Mac" reveals this handy tutorial
"yahoo mail setup on Mac" you'll find this one
etc...

The gmail is a good one to look at just due to having a brief description you can read about the differences between POP and IMAP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.