MacBook Air question

Reaction score
Hello I have the MacBook Air (early 2014), and have a question. I was looking to download a program for stock charts that has been proclaimed hands down the best. The only problem is that the program is not made for Mac, only PC. I was talking to a tech support guy from Esignal ( thats the program) and he told me to download a windows emulator or something to run the program, and that is where my questions are.

Is it even legal to download something like that? If it is, would it open up my Mac to the scummy viruses that PC's all tend to get? Is my MacBook powerful enough to run something like that?

On the flip note anyone here trade stocks have any recommendations for an alternative program that works on Mac? I would like to find a "program" instead of a browser based chart site, just for ease of use.

Thanks!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's best to use a native Mac OS X program. Stock Market Eye is one of the best, albeit a little pricey at $59.95. However, you can download their free trial and give it a go before buying a license. Also, take a look in the Mac App Store for apps that might interest you. However, beware of reviews in the Mac App Store as many of them are bloated by the developer.

OP
J
Reaction score
It's best to use a native Mac OS X program. Stock Market Eye is one of the best, albeit a little pricey at $59.95. However, you can download their free trial and give it a go before buying a license. Also, take a look in the Mac App Store for apps that might interest you. However, beware of reviews in the Mac App Store as many of them are bloated by the developer.

Okay ill take a look at it, thanks!

The program I was looking at is about $150 a month and it goes up from there so that price tag won't scare me away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sept. '07 white 13" MacBook 8,2 - 10.7.5
The one lone PC program I need to run which is just not written for a Mac is Metatrader. I decided that the least expensive way to do what I needed to do was to use Crossover - www.codeweavers.com. You don't need to own a copy of Windows. It works fine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I too use CrossOver to run a Windows program. However, it should be noted that while CrossOver is many times better than WINE, it does have its limitations. Just be sure that you use the trial version first to see whether or not it will run your program before purchasing a license.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sept. '07 white 13" MacBook 8,2 - 10.7.5
True enough. They have a 14-day trial version with which you can test it. Not everything will run, but most mainstream stuff seems to have no problem. I have run a few other PC programs also, a couple of which they don't even list, and everything has run fine. If all you need is to run a program or two and half your computing world isn't tied to Windows, it's a great option.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.