How to have 2 MacBook Airs connect to a Mac Min

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I travel a lot (for work and fun) but we have an extensive media library (12TB right now). Since I am gone for about 8 days at a time, it is hard for me to pick out what I might want to watch for the next week and stick it on an external. Plus, I don’t want to have to carry around an external hard drive. I know screen sharing and file sharing are options but I am trying to figure out the best way to set this up so that way two MacBooks with separate users can transfer files from a hotel room to our Mac Mini at home.

Right now each computer has its own Account (Mine, my GF’s, and the Mac Mini). Does each computer need to have the other accounts on them or does only the Mac Mini need to have the MacBook accounts? Or can I just log into the Mac Mini remotely as the Mac Mini admin from another computer? And should all three computers have a common Apple ID account, or should there be 1?

And finally, I am using the file sharing feature now, but it is not streamlined. I have to individually select each folder I want to be shared. Not only does this take a long time to go through all the file trees to enable the artist, album, TV series, Season, etc folders, but then they are no longer organized the way set them up on the Mac Mini. Is there a way I can just share an entire drive?

OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.