A couple questions for the Gurus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
Well I just bought a used Video 30gb and so far i love it. The guy had it for a month and I like the videos on it. I was trying to use that Ipoddisk to pull them off and its not working. The video was first used on a Windows machine, so this may be the problem. Is there any way that I can get the videos off and store them on the Mac. Also I downloaded some videos from limewire and they are .avi files. I tried to open them up in quicktime and they will not work. I think I need a codec, but all the info i can find is that there are like 10 or so that I may have to test out. I was wondering if anyone knew what codec I may need. Currently I am converting them for ipod playback with Isquint, and hopefully that will work so at least I can watch them on the video. Oh yea, I cant really get things on the video, but havent tried since I dont want to have all the stuff on there written over. Lastly I had a 3g ipod, will all the cords (firewire) and dock work with the new one?
Thanks,
-Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
firewire isn't supported by the new ipod. I don't know what codecs to use, i just kinda picked randomly...You can use something like VLC to play them or Mplayer, google it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb
I don't entirely know how you can transfer videos from an iPod to your mac but I used a program called Senuti to transfer the music from my iPod to my iBook when I got it.

they've just updated the software so it may now send vids over too.

I used my iPod with a Windows system before my mac so it shouldn't be a problem.

If converting .avi files for the iPod works fine with the program you're using i'd stick with it.

On the codec front if you just search google for VLC Player you should come across a brilliant free vid player for your mac. It'll play almost any video file type!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
Cool guys thanks for the help. I will try the VLC and the Senuti and let you all know how it works out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.