iPod Touch 5 is very slow to charge with iOS 8

Reaction score
I Purchased a new iPod Touch 5 (64 GB) in June of 2013. Up until the time I upgraded to iOS 8 from iOS 6 it would fully charge a almost completely depleted battery in 3 to 4 hours tops. Now after upgrading to iOS 8, current version 8.1, it takes close to 24 hours to fully charge the battery with 20% still on the battery. My searches did not turn up any consistent solutions and the ones I have tried, like re-booting the iPod, made no difference. And before you ask I am currently using and have always used the charger that came with the iPod.

Can anyone give me any ideas on what a solution to this problem is?
Is there a solution?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible your iPod Touch 5 battery has become flat. In other words, it will no longer hold a charge as before and takes longer to charge up. All signs of a battery that should be replaced. I believe Apple has a standard fee for replacing the battery. You need to check with them but I believe it's $79.00. (I just checked with Apple and it is $79.00.)

OP
J
Reaction score
It's possible your iPod Touch 5 battery has become flat. In other words, it will no longer hold a charge as before and takes longer to charge up. All signs of a battery that should be replaced. I believe Apple has a standard fee for replacing the battery. You need to check with them but I believe it's $79.00. (I just checked with Apple and it is $79.00.)

If what you suggest is true then it would have to have gone flat right at the time I upgraded to iOS 8 and that's coincidence that I have a very hard time believing.

Maybe I will take it up to the local Apple Store and see what they say. I hate going there just because of where it's located.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How many times have you charged and re-charged your iPod Touch? And yes, it may be coincidental when you upgraded to iOS 8 that the battery went flat. You can try resetting your iPod Touch from iTunes after making a backup to see if that makes a difference. However, the version of iOS should not matter when it comes to charging and re-charging. But who knows? Anything is possible. Let us know what Apple tells you.

OP
J
Reaction score
How many times have you charged and re-charged your iPod Touch?
I have no idea.
It's been recharging now for two days and is only at 81%. I have seen old batteries not able to hold a charge but never that is slow to charge.

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
UPDATE with a question.

I took the iPod to the Apple store and they updated the firmware. Since then it appears to be behaving better but it depends on how I recharge it. If I recharge it by having it plugged into the computer or in my portable speakers/dock it seems okay. But if I use the small white cube shaped recharger that you plug into an outlet it acts weird.

Is it possible for those small white cube shaped recharges to go bad?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess anything is possible, but I've never had an Apple charger cube go bad on me. I currently have two iPhones and an iPad which I charge regularly and they're OK. I'm rather surprised that Apple just didn't offer to replace the battery? If it still gives you problems, take it on back to them.

OP
J
Reaction score
I guess anything is possible, but I've never had an Apple charger cube go bad on me. I currently have two iPhones and an iPad which I charge regularly and they're OK. I'm rather surprised that Apple just didn't offer to replace the battery? If it still gives you problems, take it on back to them.

They ran a diagnostic on the iPod and everything checked out fine. So, I don't see what replacing the battery would have accomplished except making be poorer by $75.

It seems to charge fine if it's plugged in the computer or my speaker dock.* But if I use the white cube thing is acts* weird. For example last night it showed a charge of 91% then when I plugged it into the white cube the battery level dropped down to 40%. When I unplugged it and hooked up to the computer it jumped back up to 91% and was fully charged* shortly after that.* That's why I think there is something wrong with the white cube.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I unplugged it and hooked up to the computer it jumped back up to 91% and was fully charged* shortly after that.* That's why I think there is something wrong with the white cube.

Like I said above, anything is possible. Try another charging cube, they're inexpensive enough from places like Staples, Best Buy, Office Depot, etc. You can use the same lightning cable. I bought a bunch of them from Staples not too long ago for $10 each and they work fine to charge my iPhone. My iPad takes a special higher power cube so those won't work for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.