Disable YouTube ads?

Reaction score
Not 100% sure if this is possible on OS X but is there any software which disables YouTube ads? I got advised to use AdBlocker, but that didn't do anything.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
YouTube ads that play before the actual video you want to watch? No, that's controlled from the server side. You can skip the ad after its played for a little bit but you can't totally block it.

Adblock/Flashblock work by blocking other components that could be ads as well, but the ad here is embedded in the same place the real video would play.

Think of this as watching live TV and watching a show, the only difference is that with the YouTube ad, you can skip after some time rather than being forced to watch he entire thing..

YouTube has to make money somehow..:)

Reaction score
Not anymore. Several ads you can no longer skip i have watched the geico commercial now 345 times and couldn't skip it because there was no skip available.

OP
B
Reaction score
YouTube ads that play before the actual video you want to watch? No, that's controlled from the server side. You can skip the ad after its played for a little bit but you can't totally block it.

Adblock/Flashblock work by blocking other components that could be ads as well, but the ad here is embedded in the same place the real video would play.

Think of this as watching live TV and watching a show, the only difference is that with the YouTube ad, you can skip after some time rather than being forced to watch he entire thing..

YouTube has to make money somehow..:)
Thanks for explaining. I obviously just misheard the person explaining Adblock.

Much appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I would definitely recommend running Adblock and Ghostery on your browser to deal with the other types of ads that sometimes take over websites. I run Flashblock as well to prevent any flash from playing automatically unless I chose to..

You can, however, configure Flashblock to allow content from certain sites to always play..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.