Snow Leopard to Yosemite (successful clean install) - Time Machine Not Working?

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm running on a 15" Late 2010 Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz i7 8 GB Ram. I've been running on snow leopard for a while and thought i'd give Yosemite a shot today.

I made a time machine back up on Snow Leopard, rebooted it and cleared the hard drive to make a clean install with a Yosemite USB Bootloader. Success.

I wanted to make another Time Machine back up wwith Yosemite freshly installed but when I hit back up - it just kept saying "preparing to backup" and never really did anything? Any ideas? And would I be able to use an old Time Machine back up onto my Yosemite OS now? (old time machine for software/data files).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

This is a common error and problem when using the same Time Machine drive from a previous version of OS X to backup a newly installed version. This link has hints and ways to solve the "preparing for backup" message that never goes away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.