MacBook Pro non Retina SD port issue

Reaction score
So, my SD port stopped responding on my macbook and I am worried that it may have been shorted I have a 4 year old that may have stuck something like a key into it (tried cleaning it its not dirty). As a pro non retina the SD port is linked to my mother board is there a way to test the port to see if I can fix it, firm ware to turn it on or off etc?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
So, my SD port stopped responding on my macbook and I am worried that it may have been shorted I have a 4 year old that may have stuck something like a key into it (tried cleaning it its not dirty). As a pro non retina the SD port is linked to my mother board is there a way to test the port to see if I can fix it, firm ware to turn it on or off etc?
Thanks

Open up "About This Mac" from the Apple menu, then System Report. If you see "Card Reader" listed on the left, then at least you know the system still knows you have that in place. If it does not show up here, then you may have a much more serious problem (missing kernel extension perhaps, or a hardware failure).

If you do see it, then it may be dirty and need cleaning. Here's a YouTube video posted by someone who was able to fix his using alcohol and an SD card he couldn't use anymore. There are links to other videos, so feel free to peruse more of them. Obviously, only do this with the MacBook unplugged and pop the battery if possible (if not, make sure it's powered off... better yet, drain the battery to nothing).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGh3jra4ApE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.