Can't Type in Excel MS Word 2011 for MAC

Reaction score
I have a late '09 IMAC 21 w/16 Gigs of Ram, Office 2011 and Yosemite and all of a sudden can not type anything in a cell or even type in 'find'. Word works, but any Excel file is the same. Interestingly, when I copy and paste from a cell, it pastes matching format, which it never did before. Have made no changes that I am aware of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
is there an option to select input source

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
One suggestion I found is to make sure you have quit excel by clicking on "Excel" and scroll down to "Quit Excel" to make sure you have it closed. Then close all programs and make sure they are by pressing the Command + Option + Esc keys to open the force quit box and resetting your imac would not hurt at this point. Then see if that helped it.

Another suggestion was to turn off the Num lock key but no one seems to know how to do that. Interesting as that is a dedicated key on a Windows keyboard. Not sure how that happens. One suggestion was press the "clear" key - where ever that is. Another was press f6 which did not work when I tried it. Maybe some of this will make sense to you.

Another thought is to make sure it is up to date. On the menu bar click on "Help" and scroll down to "Check for Updates".

As a last resort - Is it possible to reinstall it? Usually if you start an install it will give you the option to repair a current install.

Here is a link to a bunch of things people have tried with various levels of success:

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-75180-excel-and-keyboard-problems-on-a-mac

Lisa

OP
R
Reaction score
Can't type in Excel

IHATEVISTA; There is no ‘input source option’.

Icelev; Shutting down Excel worked! Don’t know why I didn’t think of that solution. I do in fact use a MS keyboard, wireless in fact, tried switching batteries, to no avail. I was working on my Excel file, went for a quick bite and when I returned found I could not make any entries in any cells, had me stumped! Thanks for the tip!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.