MAcbook 1.1 Intel Core Duo with OSX 10.6.8 on it. Wi-Fi connectivity issue

Reaction score
Have a MAcbook 1.1 Intel Core Duo with OSX 10.6.8 on it. It has started having a problem with its wireless Wi-Fi connection. Sometimes connection times out. When it does connect, it drops the connection when it goes to sleep. Then I have to reboot and research for the router. Its not the router, all other devices connect to it. Have tried connecting to other routers with same issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
What router do you have

OP
M
Reaction score
At the house where we were trying to connect, it is a Comcast router. I originally was sure it was the router, because I got a good connection at my house. However, presently I'm trying to test it at my workplace, an university, and it does the same with our wi-fi system. It connects for 15 minutes or so, or till when the computer goes to sleep. When you wake it up, connectivity is lost. Thne you have to reboot, delete the router from the networks preferences and find it again. I've deleted the router names in keychain access, run all updates, repaired permissions,all to no avail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
I would get a new router because that seems to be the problem if everything keeps disconnecting or call comcast

OP
M
Reaction score
Thought it may be router at first also, but all other devices connect to this router fine. So I tried the Macbook at work and at other location. Acts the same way with all three routers I've tried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If only one computer is having issues I would say the problem is the Macbook 1.1. That model is a 2006 and it's original wireless card is an 802.11 b/g which is very slow by today's standard.

You say at home it is fine but away from home you have issues. I will venture to guess the routers you are encountering are set up to accept today's new 802.11n and 802.11 ac protocols only. These settings increases the range and coverage a lot for them.

By the spotty connecting I would guess the router is able to attempt an 802.11g connection but may not be handling it well because the range of an 802.11g adapter is not near as great or fast as a newer adapter. OR the wireless adapter is dying. Either way the computer is old.

If you want to upgrade the wireless airport adapter ifixit has a solution for you:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Core+2+Duo+AirPort+Card+Replacement/519

Looks like an $80 - $100 upgrade.

That is my best guess!

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.