All Applications have dissapeared!?!

Reaction score
When I click on Finder, and open up my Applications folder, there are NO Applications listed. Can anyone tell me what has happened? And how I might get them to reappear? Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
When did this start happening, and what did you do before it happened like run programs update

M

MacInWin

Please read the link in my sig and repost. We need a lot more information before we can begin to help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I click on Finder, and open up my Applications folder, there are NO Applications listed. Can anyone tell me what has happened? And how I might get them to reappear? Thank you!

We need more info regarding your Mac and which version of OS X it's running, however, it sounds like you may have changed your user name or home folder. Did you?

OP
K
Reaction score
I don't remember doing anything. Perhaps the kids did something with the computer when I wasn't around? I opened up finder to search for an application, and noticed it was empty.

OP
K
Reaction score
We need more info regarding your Mac and which version of OS X it's running, however, it sounds like you may have changed your user name or home folder. Did you?

I did not change my user name. I don't think I changed the home folder. How would I know if it was changed?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I did not change my user name. I don't think I changed the home folder. How would I know if it was changed?

You wouldn't know if you can log on to your computer without using your name and password. In other words, when you boot the computer it immediately goes to your desktop. If you need a name and password to log on and you can log on, then your user name and home folder are OK. But the fact that your Applications folder is empty says something has happened either with the account or the folder itself. Can you launch an application from your Dock?

OP
K
Reaction score
You wouldn't know if you can log on to your computer without using your name and password. In other words, when you boot the computer it immediately goes to your desktop. If you need a name and password to log on and you can log on, then your user name and home folder are OK. But the fact that your Applications folder is empty says something has happened either with the account or the folder itself. Can you launch an application from your Dock?

When I log in, I still need my password to get into my account. It is the only account on the computer.

I am still able to use applications in the Dock. However they are no longer listed under applications.

OP
K
Reaction score
If this makes any sense at all... I just used Spotlight to search for an Application ie) GarageBand. I right clicked on the icon in the Dock. Clicked on "Options", and then on "show in finder". It proceeded to open up Applications, which then listed all the Applications that are normally in the Applications folder. However when I clicked on "Finder" and then on "Applications" the folder comes up empty again... It makes no sense to me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I log in, I still need my password to get into my account. It is the only account on the computer.

I am still able to use applications in the Dock. However they are no longer listed under applications.

OK, your account and home folder are intact. That leaves the application folder as the culprit. How about the Applications folder in your Dock, is it still there and when you click on it, does it show your Applications?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.