ipad -- server not responding

PJS

Reaction score
All of a sudden, when I go onto Safari on my iPad mini, I get a message saying "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding." I can access other online things such as Weather Channel, e-mail, iTunes, etc. It just Safari that's not connecting. One minute it was fine, and then it stopped. On my desktop computer, Safari is working fine.

I tried turning on and off Wifi on my iPad, but that didn't help. Why did this happen all of a sudden,and what can be done to fix it? Is the problem on my end or on Safari's end?

Thank you!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have you considered that the webpage that you are trying to visit that is giving you this message…may be down for maintenance, may be SUPER busy, or may be "broken"?;)

- Nick

OP
P

PJS

Reaction score
Thanks, pigoo3. I tried accessing many different web pages and none of them work, including ones that worked half an hour ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks, pigoo3. I tried accessing many different web pages and none of them work, including ones that worked half an hour ago.

Hello - my usual advice when an app is misbehaving is to follow the steps below in sequence - first, 'Force Close' Safari and try the app again - if not successful, then go down the list. Let us know if any of these maneuvers help. Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom’) - iOS 7.x/8.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

This of course is a different situation (before you mentioned other pages were working). If nothing is working…then it could be a problem with your in-home internet hardware (cable modem or Wifi router)…or you could be having a signal problem coming from your ISP.

Either of the above could be the issue if multiple devices in your home have this problem…not just the iPad.

- Nick

Reaction score
iPad server not responding

Hello - my usual advice when an app is misbehaving is to follow the steps below in sequence - first, 'Force Close' Safari and try the app again - if not successful, then go down the list. Let us know if any of these maneuvers help. Dave :)

Many thanks, it worked! Turning off with the power switch and the restarting holding down the restart and home buttons. Very pleased I have an iMac to find out on mac-forums otherwise I would have been stumped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks, it worked! Turning off with the power switch and the restarting holding down the restart and home buttons. Very pleased I have an iMac to find out on mac-forums otherwise I would have been stumped.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Nice when an 'old' thread is helpful to someone just joining the MacForums - glad that the simple maneuver worked for you!

If you have a number of iDevices (especially iPads), take a look at the iPad Forums - I'm giradman there - Dave

Reaction score

I had the same problem and the rebooting also worked for me. Thanks RadDave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had the same problem and the rebooting also worked for me. Thanks RadDave.

BOY! I was in the North Carolina Mountains for 4 nights (our 45th anniversary) and returned to an old thread that help a number of members - thanks for the responses! Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.