MBP Screen Completely Messed Up- Help Me!

Reaction score
Hi kind internet people!

The screen on my 6 month old macbook pro looks like it's been punched from the inside.

zD0bqk6.jpg

Zi1lEJC.jpg

I treat my computer like a king. I had a MBP before this (2006) that I put through everything. I once spilled beer on the keyboard that Apple replaced for free! Since I just got this new one and put a lot of money into it, I wanted to make sure it was well taken care of; I only work with it on a desk/flat surface. Occasionally, I will watch netflix from my bed on it as well, but when I'm done I put it into it's zippered case logic case.

The computer itself is in a clear case at all times (the outside and the bottom).

So I took it into the apple/genius bar to get to the bottom of it. The guy saw it, said an LCD bulb (edit: okay not LCD, I'm not a technical person--LED whatever is inside my screen) broke on the inside and it's definitely user damage. He said most likely, I dropped it or dropped something on top of the computer that put pressure and broke the bulb.

The thing is, I've literally never dropped it. I have done nothing to it. Like I said, it stays on a desk all day, and when I travel with it, it goes into a zipper case, on top of the case it's permanently in.

Here is the "damaged" area:

10cKVoY.jpg

I've had issues with the screen going to sleep and taking 30-60 seconds to wake up, but I doubt that's related.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. It's still under warranty, but I can't make them fix it. I didn't want to cause a scene so I asked a few questions- like why the &%*$ would you make a portable laptop so sensitive. And his response was "as the laptops get thinner they are more suspect to damage." So basically it's my fault for buying a macbook pro, which maybe was my first mistake. I can already tell this laptop is going to have many more problems (as I said, the screen is slow to awake, and the other day my fan didn't stop running so my computer got hot and I had to turn it off). Issues for another day!

Help!

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I took it into the apple/genius bar to get to the bottom of it. The guy saw it, said an LCD bulb broke on the inside and it's definitely user damage. He said most likely, I dropped it or dropped something on top of the computer that put pressure and broke the bulb.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. It's still under warranty, but I can't make them fix it.

If this computer is still under warranty…then it doesn't have an "LCD bulb". Apple has been making MacBook Pro's with LED displays since about 2007. And I'm pretty sure no pre-2007 MacBook Pro's (with "LCD bulbs") are still under warranty after 7-8 years!

Also…even if the issue was a busted "LCD bulb"…the issues pictured in the images would not be due to a broken LCD bulb.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
If this computer is still under warranty…then it doesn't have an "LCD bulb". Apple has been making MacBook Pro's with LED displays since about 2007. And I'm pretty sure no pre-2007 MacBook Pro's (with "LCD bulbs") are still under warranty after 7-8 years!

Also…even if the issue was a busted "LCD bulb"…the issues pictured in the images would not be due to a broken LCD bulb.

- Nick

Not LCD then, he must've said LED. I fixed my post!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where did my original post go?

Stop editing your post. As a new member…your posts (with images or links) need to be approved. And every time you edit…it needs to be approved again.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not LCD then, he must've said LED. I fixed my post!

There's no LED "bulb" either. LED display's are an array of 1000's & 1000's of light emitting diodes (LED's). So no single "bulb" going out/failing would cause what's shown in the photos.

Some of the parts of this conversation with the Apple person makes sense…and then some parts don't make sense (sorry). What I'm pretty sure of is...…there was no mention of a "bulb".

The bottom line. Could be a bad logic board, could be bad video hardware, could be a bad video cable. It's not any sort of putting pressure on the bulb situation…and breaking the bulb.

If the problems were due to owner caused damage…Applecare does not cover accidents…just manufacturing defects. I didn't see any damage in the photos…so I'm unsure why the Apple person refused to repair the computer.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So I took it into the apple/genius bar to get to the bottom of it. The guy saw it, said an LCD bulb (edit: okay not LCD, I'm not a technical person--LED whatever is inside my screen) broke on the inside and it's definitely user damage. He said most likely, I dropped it or dropped something on top of the computer that put pressure and broke the bulb.

The Apple technicians have lots and lots of experience with this sort of thing. The tech told you that "it's definitely user damage" and he is very likely correct. Whether the LEDs were damaged from pressure or a drop doesn't matter, the point is that the display is damaged. And your screen shot of the machine shows damage to the case. The only way you're going to get that machine repaired is at your expense.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see the damage now. Had to view the original sized image to see it.

That damage wasn't caused by itself. The Applecare warranty doesn't cover damage.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
The Apple technicians have lots and lots of experience with this sort of thing. The tech told you that "it's definitely user damage" and he is very likely correct. Whether the LEDs were damaged from pressure or a drop doesn't matter, the point is that the display is damaged. And your screen shot of the machine shows damage to the case. The only way you're going to get that machine repaired is at your expense.

Sorry, must be the picture. I took a couple more of the case.

pXhy5XA.jpg

M3MHedO.jpg

The point is, I haven't done anything to 'break' the computer.

Edit: I see in the original picture what you're talking about; but that isn't even where the screen is broken. Also, that came off with a cloth.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It doesn't matter where the pressure to the case (affecting the screen) occurred because any kind of pressure on the top case is going to impact the screen area. Apple warranties do not cover accidental damage. The only exception is the special accidental warranty Apple sells to cover iPhones and iPads, and that has a $79 deductible.

Next time buy a SquareTrade warranty for your MacBook Pro. Their warranty does cover accidental damage and has a $75 deductible.

OP
J
Reaction score
Next time buy a SquareTrade warranty for your MacBook Pro. Their warranty does cover accidental damage and has a $75 deductible.

Wish I had known about Square Trade when I bought it! Sounds like a way better deal than apple care, but you have to purchase within 30 days. Totally would have bought it considering I plan on buying applecare anyway.

I still can't believe my laptop has this damage on it; it's like if you take care of something, it'll still break. Meanwhile, my 9 year old macbook pro is still kickin' along.

Such is life

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wish I had known about Square Trade when I bought it! Sounds like a way better deal than apple care, but you have to purchase within 30 days. Totally would have bought it considering I plan on buying applecare anyway.

Many times this is the way life goes…we learn things thru "trial & error" or experience. Then hopefully we don't do the same thing a 2nd time!:)

I still can't believe my laptop has this damage on it; it's like if you take care of something, it'll still break. Such is life

Something is wrong with this computer that we are either not seeing or are not being told. The Apple folks are very very good about repairing computers that exhibit this sort of behavior (when there is no obvious physical damage and the computer is covered with Applecare).

Something about this computer indicated to the Apple person examining it…that something is not right. Apple repair folks just don't mindlessly refuse to repair an Applecare covered computer with this sort of problem without good reason.

- Nick

p.s. By the way…why do your photos have that glass or plastic sheet covering things…obscuring proper viewing of the computer??:Confused: Is this the hard shell case it is kept in?…just reread your 1st post.

OP
J
Reaction score
p.s. By the way…why do your photos have that glass or plastic sheet covering things…obscuring proper viewing of the computer??:Confused: Is this the hard shell case it is kept in?…just reread your 1st post.

Yes, that's the hard case it's kept in. I took it off so you could see there isn't any damage to it. The computer itself has never seen the light of day, to avoid things like this!!!

The guy at the store def examined the computer but didn't find any damage. He said it's possible I dropped something on top of it, or I closed something into the screen. He said that he's never seen the display do something like this unless someone broke the screen or caused it themselves.

I am not the most technical person, so I can't say if he's wrong (and he probably knows more than me!) it just doesn't add up, which is why I'm here! I've never had a problem with the genius bar, they repaired my last computer many times (including a keyboard that was malfunctioned due to me spilling on it). I guess it just depends on who's working that day and their mood.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The guy at the store def examined the computer but didn't find any damage. He said it's possible I dropped something on top of it, or I closed something into the screen. He said that he's never seen the display do something like this unless someone broke the screen or caused it themselves.

I am not the most technical person, so I can't say if he's wrong (and he probably knows more than me!) it just doesn't add up, which is why I'm here! I've never had a problem with the genius bar, they repaired my last computer many times (including a keyboard that was malfunctioned due to me spilling on it). I guess it just depends on who's working that day and their mood.

If everything is as you say it is (nothing has ever been done to this computer to cause any sort of damage). And there are no external signs of damage that someone examining the computer could interpret as a drop or abuse of some sort.

Then my suggestion is…go back to the Apple Store again and see someone else. If there are no signs of abuse or damage…I can't really see why you would be refused repair. The problem is…the Apple folks usually log your computer into their tracking system (describing what happened during your visit)…so this may or may not work against you.

If your computer was not covered with Applecare…then I could see the Apple folks being a bit more strict about things. But since you said that it is still covered with Applecare…the Apple folks usually will say…"No problem…we will get this fixed for you ASAP!":)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
If everything is as you say it is (nothing has ever been done to this computer to cause any sort of damage). And there are no external signs of damage that someone examining the computer could interpret as a drop or abuse of some sort.

Then my suggestion is…go back to the Apple Store again and see someone else. If there are no signs of abuse or damage…I can't really see why you would be refused repair. The problem is…the Apple folks usually log your computer into their tracking system (describing what happened during your visit)…so this may or may not work against you.

If your computer was not covered with Applecare…then I could see the Apple folks being a bit more strict about things. But since you said that it is still covered with Applecare…the Apple folks usually will say…"No problem…we will get this fixed for you ASAP!":)

- Nick

I think I might try to do that! They'll have my case number and stuff already, but at least I can ask for a manager. I think the first guy saw some dust marks on the screen and on the case and was like "yep, there's the damage!" when I literally wiped it off with a cloth.

I even took some more pictures of it just to show how clean it is. Thanks for your response, it gives me some hope :)

9oUi6G0.jpg

vVCFv5W.jpg

Bj12B7N.jpg

ePqDr7L.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your response, it gives me some hope :)

Please post back how things go the 2nd time. If the computer is in the condition as you say it is…and Apple doesn't help you (even though you have active Applecare)…I would love to know their explanation.

Good luck!:)

- Nick

p.s. I wasn't 100% sure what you meant by asking for a manager. But certainly don't go into the store "snorting & snarling" like a bull;)…immediately asking for a manager. This will just get things off to a bad start. In fact…make your Genius Bar appointment…go in…and just pretend like it's the first time. Don't even mention anything about the first visit unless absolutely necessary.:)

OP
J
Reaction score
Please post back how things go the 2nd time. If the computer is in the condition as you say it is…and Apple doesn't help you (even though you have active Applecare)…I would love to know their explanation.

Good luck!:)

- Nick

p.s. I wasn't 100% sure what you meant by asking for a manager. But certainly don't go into the store "snorting & snarling" like a bull;)…immediately asking for a manager. This will just get things off to a bad start. In fact…make your Genius Bar appointment…go in…and just pretend like it's the first time. Don't even mention anything about the first visit unless absolutely necessary.:)

I'll be nice, or as nice as I can be :)

And I'll def come back and post an update!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.