External Back up Drive Suggestions Please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, OS 10.8.5 IPhone 4, IPad
I am looking for an external back-up drive for my MacBook Pro. Choices are numerous. I want quality and as much as possible value. Any suggestions much appreciated.

BTW, At this time I don't use many apps or have much stored. This will likely change soon but not to a huge degree.

Thanks

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi and welcome.

The first thing I would say is that no matter how little you have on your Mac, you must really get a backup strategy now. Internal and External HDs will fail sometime. Could be tonight, could be in 5 years. And, as you say, from today on, you will only be adding things.

Time Machine is the easiest to set up and understand. Guidance given if you need it. There are additional options such as cloning software (eg CCC and SuperDuper!).

As regards choice of EHD. Everyone has their favourites and my suggestion might, or might not, be applicable in all countries—I live in the UK. Anyway, for over 6 years, I've used a wide range of External storage devices from LaCie and personally never (yet) had a drive failure. Worth a look at their website perhaps.

By the way, as a general rule, your EHD should be around 1.5 to 2 times the capacity of your Mac's Internal Drive.

Hope this helps as a starter.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 iMac 20", 2013 iMac 24". 2007 Mini
I'll second that notion on the Lacie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone SE 3rd Gen
I have been using Toshiba Stor.E external drives with CCC and had no failures or problems booting from them.

M

MacInWin

I have LaCie and like it, but also can recommend the WD Mybook series. I have two and both are great.

I have had less success with Seagates. Their drives seem to struggle with OS X, in that they automatically power down if idle, which leads the OS X system to see them as having been unplugged without being unmounted and then it flashes up an error message on that. I've never seen that error except with Seagates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am looking for an external back-up drive for my MacBook Pro. Choices are numerous. I want quality and as much as possible value. Any suggestions much appreciated...........

Hello - you might want to take a look @ this recent THREAD - plenty of good discussion, plus I posted a couple of graphs related to external hard drive (EHD) failure rates both related to time and to brand.

Any EHD can fail at any time or last for years - their 'mortality' is about 20% @ 4 years and likely 50% @ 6 years (again see the graphs mentioned above). Seagate drives seem to be more prone to failure vs. Western Digital (WD) - I have 6 EHDs and a LaCie SSD. Many here recommend using WD drives - these are inexpensive even for 1 & 2 TB models.

I would strongly suggest that you do not rely on a single EHD for your backup needs - I have an iMac & MBPro both running Time Machine x2, CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner x2), Carbonite for my wife's personal files (and the LaCie for mine on the laptop) - so a BIG believer in redundancy (kind of like a RAID 1 setup for each backup program on each computer) - and BTW, I've had 3-4 EHDs fail on me in the past and just suddenly w/ some 'clicks & clacks' - Dave :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, OS 10.8.5 IPhone 4, IPad
Thanks all!!! Your info gives me a good place to start.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.