MacBook Pro Dead?

Reaction score
I closed the lid on my early 2008 MBP, 2.4g C2D, 4gb RAM, 240gb Intel SSD. for about an hour. Picked up, opened the lid and nothing happened. I've tried a hard shut down and nothing. It's not given me any sign of problems. It's actually been pretty constant. The only times it gets slow have been my spotty dsl service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am going to assume that it has power either through a magsafe charger or battery. That there is no swelling of the battery which if it is a removable battery you could look and if not you may see swelling evident around the track pad and/or keyboard.

If you can remove the battery, try plugging in the charger and see if there is life. Is the magsafe charger light on?

Here are some ideas from apple: Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on - Apple Support

Just throwing out ideas and I am sure others will chime in with ideas too.

Lisa

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks, The 'lil green light is on and I made sure that I have been using an 85W charger all along. I'll check out the Apple Support site. Thanks again. Will let you know what happens.

OP
C
Reaction score
So it's not working. I think I've tried everything suggested. Still nothing but a momentary spin of the fans, a couple of clicks from the dvd drive and the stand-by light in the latch comes on bright and then fades away. I have the ssd out now. Is there any way to access my files? will my old PowerMac access them? There are some files I really need on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Since there is a small sign of life you can see if it will try a PRAM reset or a SMC reset. Not sure if it will help but can't hurt:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3604

You can purchase a USB adapter that will allow you to attach the drive to another mac to pull files off. Since it will be formatted for a mac, you will need a mac to read the files. I am not sure if your PowerMac can read the drive though.

Here is what I am talking about at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OORMVQ/?tag=macforums0e4-20

BTW: I have purchase a used 2008 and 2009 Macbook on eBay this past year for other people and they are running less than $300. I purchased the 2009 for $250. You might consider that route too.

Lisa

OP
C
Reaction score
I found out that the PowerBook G4 wouldn't recognize the drive. I already have managed t collect a couple of adapters. I'm going to start shopping. Not sure I could trust this one again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.