Need help quitting programs

Reaction score
OSX has been running real slow on my student macs that only have 2 RAM. I suspect a lot of programs are running in the background. Can anyone tell me how I can see this info and quit programs?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't mention which Macs your students are using and what version of OS X but 2 GB of memory is not much memory even for some older Macs. You can see what's running in the background by opening: Applications, Utilities, Activity Monitor.app. You should also be able to see what apps are open by checking the Dock.

OP
U
Reaction score
Not visible in doc. Everything seems closed. Saw how to open activity monitor but just saw a bunch of weird text. Running OSX. Isn't that Yosemite?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Think it's time to call your IT dept. and let them check it out.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Activity Monitor can be daunting. Try pressing command and tab simultaneously. The icons for any running programs will appear on screen. Continue holding down the command key while pressing tab. This will cycle through icons representing the open programs.

When you reach a program you want to close release the command and tab keys. Pressing Command and Q simultaneously will quit that program. You can repeat this process for any open programs quitting them as needed.

OP
U
Reaction score
Activity Monitor can be daunting. Try pressing command and tab simultaneously. The icons for any running programs will appear on screen. Continue holding down the command key while pressing tab. This will cycle through icons representing the open programs.

When you reach a program you want to close release the command and tab keys. Pressing Command and Q simultaneously will quit that program. You can repeat this process for any open programs quitting them as needed.

That sounds do-able. I will try it! Thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Not visible in doc. Everything seems closed. Saw how to open activity monitor but just saw a bunch of weird text. Running OSX. Isn't that Yosemite?

Hi usingmac,

No. OS X is generic and there are many versions of it, the latest being Yosemite (10.10.x).

Click on the Apple icon, top left on menu bar. A drop down will appear . Click on "About this Mac". It will tell you what system you are running.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.