iPad locked out

Reaction score
I got my nephew an iPad and set up parental controls and configured the device lock, making sure I the option to wipe the device is not selected.

Nephew enters the password incorrectly multiple times until it's prompting him to sync it with the Mac it was last synced with, which would be mine. I connect the device but won't let me do anything, saying the iPad has a password.

How can I fix this without wiping the device?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If both you and your nephew do not know or have forgotten the password unlock, you'll need to reset it from iTunes which will wipe the iPad. Did you make a backup of the iPad to your computer or to iCloud?

OP
T
Reaction score
On the computer.

I did not select the option to automatically wipe the device because I was expecting him to lock himself out one day. Is there no way to go around it?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I use my iPad at work regularly and use the password lock to keep students from accessing it without permission. I locked myself out of the iPad one day because I changed the code mid-day and didn't remember the new code later.

I ended up resetting the iPad from within iTunes which erases everything as chscag suggested. I haven't seen anything that says this has changed.

Reaction score
on another note do not turn on iCloud for your son if you ever need to factory wipe the device from the device because the device will ask for your user account and password and it bypasses the parental controls through a glitch so don't let your son know. and make sure the security is changed every 2 months so he cannot guess it by accident.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.