Overclocking

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this has been posted before. I recently considered the idea of overclocking, but I am uncertain to whether or not there is software available to overclock video-card, processor, etc. Are there any, and if so, where?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
A mac can not be overclocked it would destroy the processor due to heat, Because overclocking even a little would cause such a jump in processor power that it would not be able to be cooled, pluss, it is not easy to do (infact i don't think it has actually been done to a G5) and could dammage a already expensive system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
PowerBookG4 said:
A mac can not be overclocked it would destroy the processor due to heat, Because overclocking even a little would cause such a jump in processor power that it would not be able to be cooled, pluss, it is not easy to do (infact i don't think it has actually been done to a G5) and could dammage a already expensive system.
But you can do it on G4s (PowerMacs and Minis MAYBE iMacs but definitely not PowerBook and iBooks). It's different on each mac so if you could tell us exactly which computer you want to overclock that would be a heap of help.

Reaction score
A lot of people overclocked their G4 mac minis, it isn't easy because it required soldering.

Some of the older iBooks could have their CPU's overclocked with software...

If you want to overclock your video check search for: ATIccelerator II.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Sure you can overclock your computer, but as everyone said, it could harm your hardware.

Here's a program called iCook that overclocks iBooks. You didn't list you computer, so I really don't know what you're looking for however.

*I'm in no way responsible for what you do to your computer*
:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I have over clocked g4's, and I can tell you for a fact that a g5 of any kind CAN'T be over clocked. the structure of the system is so different, everything is made in such a way to work with each other for optimized performance, so in a g5, if you over clock the processor, you'd have to over clock or replace everything else in it. to OP: what kind of mac are you wanting to over clock?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The 800Mhz eMac could be overclocked to 1,2Ghz from what I remember, though it required soldering.

OP
O
Reaction score
well i wanted to see if it would be possible to overclock with an iBook, but apparently several have said that it would not be a wise move on my part. The question that I would have is: "would it still be an unwise move considering that I have a laptop cooler?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini @ 1.5Ghz, 1GB ram, 12.1" ibook 1.33Ghz 1GB ram
I have my 1.25Ghz G4 mac mini happily running here at 1.5Ghz ever since week one (i got it around 4 weeks after it was launched.) not a single problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I'm curious to see how long it will take for folks to start overclocking the Intel Macs.... It doesn't seem like it would be as hard as PPC seeing as how PC techies have been OCing their x86 machines for years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
so would it be safe to use icook to overclok my g3 800 to 900mhz-1ghz?
That depends on how much balls you got.

Most Intel overclocking comes from within the BIOS itself, which is normally built into the Motherboard. I'm sure it is possible with a software overclocking program, such as ClockGen from cpuid.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2000blasterboy said:
so would it be safe to use icook to overclok my g3 800 to 900mhz-1ghz?
that depends on what you consider safe. if possibly frying your ibook is safe, then it's safe. ;) such a small change in processor speed wouldn't create too much more heat, and you most likely wouldn't notice a HUGE difference. but to put it simply, it would be safe, though it would most likely get extremely hot when running processor intensive apps.

D

djmew

mynameis said:
If you want to overclock your video check search for: ATIccelerator II.

I just over clocked my ATI 9200 in my ibook. Are there any protections in place to ensure that it shuts down before it gets too hot and frys my ibook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
djmew said:
I just over clocked my ATI 9200 in my ibook. Are there any protections in place to ensure that it shuts down before it gets too hot and frys my ibook.
no such built in protection, though I would imagine that at a certain temperature components would get so hot the ibook would just shut down. whether it turns on again or not is the chance you take.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20'' 2.0GHz 2gb Ram 400gb HDD
I tried to overclock my Rev. B iMac.......and now i'm buying a new comp, I think the G5's are best left alone(R.I.P iMac G5 sniffs)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Shadowfax said:
I tried to overclock my Rev. B iMac.......and now i'm buying a new comp, I think the G5's are best left alone(R.I.P iMac G5 sniffs)
Yeah, G5s are definitely not good to overclock (way to much heat and everything with a G5 is "fine-tuned" for best performance)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Shadowfax said:
I thought I posted that G5s can't be over clocked? if not, I meant to. either way, I am sorry about your loss.

R

RoccaDelicious

I think some of you dudes should consider "overclocking" the contents of your trousers, go out and meet some girls, they don't all bite but the ones worn chasing do - Hooray

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.