Mail App does not work with Exchange account

Reaction score
I have found 2 ways to add a Hotmail account:

A. Choosing "Add other mail account.." whichs works well but does not allow to synchronize contacts, calendars, reminders. It only synchronizes mail. As I want to synch also contacts, calendars and remaindes, it does not work for me.

B. Choosing the Exchange option. It always asks for Server Name. Apple people told to enter "imap-mail.outlook.com". It still shows error most of times, but after dozen of retries, the account is added, but it does not synch, neither mail, nor contacts, and the Mail Connection Doctor app shows: "Could not connect to this Hotmail Exchange server. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the Account preferences. Also verify that the server supports SSL. If it does not, deselect the "Use SSL" checkbox in the Advanced tab of Account preferences"

Can somebody advise about a solution for this problem in Yosemite 10.10.1?

C

chas_m

Mail is an email program. Calendar is a Calendar program. Contacts is a contacts program. You sync your Exchange account with each of these three programs (they all work well with each other, but take a segmented approach rather than MS Office's monolithic approach).

Alternatively, you purchase MS Office for Mac which includes Outlook, and Exchange works the way you are used to.

OP
T
Reaction score
I chas_m,

Thank you for your advise, but I am looking for a solution, not for a workaround.

If the "small" iOS can do it like a charm, synchronize my hotmail unified source of mail messages, contacts, calendars and remainders to the several iOS apps for mail messages, contacts, calendars and reminders... the powerfull OS X MUST do it too.

It is a fact that it can do it. It offers the capability to config this. The only limitation is a probably bug (failure) in the OS X Programming, which make that the process fails when it is trying to do what it is intended to do.

That is what I am looking for, the way to make Yosemite to do what it is designed do.

Regards,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.