Reliable places to purchase MacBook Pro 15" 2012 non-Retina i7 and Fair Price

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MD546LL/A - MacBookPro9,1
I'm' looking to buy a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 i7 quad-core and I have two questions:
1) What are the most reliable places to purchase a computer this old and in the best condition available, without worrying that it's stolen, has something wrong with the motherboard, etc?
2) What is a fair price for a used but in great condition (standard 8GB or RAM and the basic HD)?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure why you haven't looked in the Apple on line store since that particular MacBook Pro is still being sold. Unless for some reason you don't want a new one with an Apple warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)
Sometimes OWC has them for sale. Looks like they have a couple listings now. If I was to be used from a third party seller, they are the most reputable in the business.

To be blunt, I wouldn't buy this computer new. It is old and while it is still a good system (particularly since its RAM and storage can be upgraded) I don't believe it is worth the price that Apple charges for it new. harryb2448 has already linked to Apple's refurb store and that is one place you should hit up if you want to buy the computer.

Sometimes Amazon has a good price but ideally you will spend less than $1000 to get this computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm' looking to buy a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 i7 quad-core and I have two questions:
1) What are the most reliable places to purchase a computer this old and in the best condition available, without worrying that it's stolen, has something wrong with the motherboard, etc?
2) What is a fair price for a used but in great condition (standard 8GB or RAM and the basic HD)?

As chscag mentioned…these are still being sold refurbished at the Apple Online store (US store). I checked…and there currently are 5 different configurations of this model currently available.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MD546LL/A - MacBookPro9,1
Thanks, guys. Really good info here. I should have specified that I would like to spend $900 or less in this machine. I saw there are two in the apple refurbished store, one for $1,400 and one for $1,550 (solid state HD being the difference).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)
Sorry I misread your initial post where you mention looking for an i7 CPU. This will drive the price of the machine up. Do not buy a listing from Apple with the SSD already in the computer. This part is upgradeable by you and you will get a better price if you supply the SSD on your own. The 2012 MBP has held its value well because it is the last user-upgradeable Macbook. The listing @ $1109 is a fairly good price for this computer. Ivy Bridge Quad-Core i7 is still a very good processor. You may need to resort to private forum trading or an auction website to shave $200 off that price tag. I won't say it is impossible if someone is looking to sell but again these computers have held their value well because they can be upgraded. The extra money is probably worth it to have Apple warranty and to make sure you are buying a computer reasonably free of physical defects

Do not shop for the 8 GB of RAM preinstalled unless it is a custom job from someone selling their personal unit.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks, guys. Really good info here. I should have specified that I would like to spend $900 or less in this machine. I saw there are two in the apple refurbished store, one for $1,400 and one for $1,550 (solid state HD being the difference).

With a $900 budget (or less)…you're most likely going to have to back away from a 15" i7 model…and start thinking about a 13" i5 model. Even the least expensive Apple refurbished 2012 13" i5 model is $929.

The only way you're going to get a 2012 15" i7 model for $900 or less is if you get lucky on eBay…or find a great deal on Craig's List.

And just so you know. You don't even want to bother with online resellers of used Mac's. They sell things at way too high a price. An example…here's the lowest cost USED 2012 15" MacBook Pro i7 2.33ghz for $1429 from PowerMax:

https://www.powermax.com/product/pow-t51025

The same EXACT model refurbished from Apple (which is going to be way better & have 12 months of Applecare)…is $1109:

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel i7 - Apple Store (U.S.)

Why in the world would someone pay $1429 for the same exact computer (used) than they could get from Apple for $1109 (Refurbished) is beyond me!;)

Either purchase refurbished from Apple…or go shopping on eBay or Craig's List.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.