Upgrading a Mac Pro, Suggested Components?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Hello, I was recently given an Early 2008 Mac Pro with two 2.8Ghz quad-core Intel Xeon processors, 320gb HD, 6gb of RAM and 256mb of graphics. I plan on using it for photo and video editing as well as some CAD so I don't have to take on as many hardware intensive tasks on my MBP.

I plan on upgrading the RAM, Graphics card. and maybe adding an SSD. My question is do you guys have any recommendations on Graphics cards or RAM for these machines?

RAM for these machines is pretty expensive so I was thinking of getting a G.Skill 4gb kit (2 2gb cards) to fill the remaining two memory slots to bump me up to 10gb.

As far as graphics goes I would like a 2gb MSI Geforce GTX 128bit GDDR5 with PCI Express 3.0 , but I'm not sure if it's compatible.

Alternatively I found this Nvidia card 1GB 128BIT GT630 DDR2 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express x 16 Graphics Video Card - Newegg.com that seems like good value, but again I'm not sure how to tell whether or not it's compatible.

For future reference, what should I look for to distinguish what is or isn't compatible with my computer? Are there any basic upgrades that most people carry out with these that I haven't considered?

Thanks In advance for all help and advice!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.