iMac ram in pairs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
I read this on Macworld.com

I wanted to find a pair of 1GB sticks, as Apple recommends adding RAM in pairs for maximum speed.

Im going to be purchasing a new iMac, and I was going to add a 1 gig stick it. The iMac has a 512 stick in it...will there be much speed loss since the two sticks are different sizes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
The iMacs use a RAM system more like laptops where you don't need to add memory in pairs. You only need pairs for the PowerMacs.

--Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
The new Intel based iMacs are laptops inside (ICH7-M chipsets, same as the MacBook Pro), and thus use the more expensive SODIMM chips. These do not need to be installed in pairs, however the Intel Napa motherboard does support dual channel mode, if the RAM pairs match.

So, it's not required, but it will technically speed things up a tad.

F

Fallooza

ok. a buddy of mine has a rev a G5 iMac with 2 256 dimms. i have an extra 512 dimm. Do ya think its better for him ta keep the 2 256 , or put in the 512 and a 256? Any opinion?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.