How to organise Itunes???

S

ssenava

Hiya all,
My housemate and I are both new to the world of ipods/itunes. We are both stumped with a very simple girlie problem...
How do we organise our Itunes Library??? I would like it sorted by artist permently, but cant work out which button to press???
Grateful for any advice x
:girl: :flower:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Smart Playlists!

File>New Smart Playlist

On the popup window choose (on the left) "Artist" >>Contains<< and on the right "the name of the artist".
Then every song in your Library by that artist will always be in that playlist, even when you add songs. :mac:

OP
S

ssenava

cheers ill give it a go :)
is that the only way i can do it? I cant have the actuall Library any way than as it comes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
ssenava said:
is that the only way i can do it? I cant have the actuall Library any way than as it comes?

At the top of each column is it's name. One of them will be highlighted blue, that's the one that the playlist is sorted by. Clicking it will switch between ascending and descending order.

To sort by artist just click on it's name at the top of its column.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
ssenava said:

To organize your library, go up along the top of the bar that says "Name | Time | Artist..." etc. Then, click on one of the words. If you click on "Name" it will organize your library/ playlist/ etc. by the name of the song (from the letter 'A' downwards). If you click it again, it will organize it the other way. So for instance, if a song in your library, like "A Hard Days' Night" by the Beatles were the first in alphabetical order, it would be at the top, then "All These Things That I've Done" by the Killers would be next, and so on. If you click the word "Name" a second time, it will organize them the other way, so if the last song in your library (alphabetically) is "Zee Deveel" by Incubus, it will be at the top.

The same goes for artists (which was what you were asking about). If you organize by artists, then iTunes will organize it by the albums (so if I owned Odelay and Mellow Gold by Beck, the songs from Mellow Gold would come before the ones on Odelay).

You understand?

OP
S

ssenava

yhay..GENIUS!!
Just what i wanted to know! Thanks from both of us for giving us a more perfect musical world!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
No problem. If you need anymore help, PM me and I'll be happy to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.