iPhoto5 Import

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.67 15" 2GB RAM 80GB HD Superdisk
Got iTunes music over, Office documents and printer setup and working. Now, on to why I got the Powerbook...photos! I'm an avid photographer and have GB's of photos.

I have my photos organized into subject folders on my XP machine. How can I retain this organization when bringing them over to my Powerbook? Do I copy each existing folder into my account's Picture folder? Will iPhoto5 recognize them?

When I tested iPhoto's Add to Library on a small folder, it put them all into one Library. Do I create libraries to go with my XP folder names first?

Thanks for your help!

Scott

Reaction score
iPhoto's folder management is absolutely useless, so you will need to use the GUI for starters.

Next step in the process fo solving your problem is creating Albums. For every "Category" of yours, you can create an album.

Test a photo and see if any comments you might have attached to the file are recognized. If so, use it to make smart albums, much like smart playlists in itunes.

Albums really are the basic tool for organisation, but i think i've read a way to make multiple libraries, too...

To create a new Album, right-click in the sources list and pick "New Album...".

Hope that helped.

cheers
yogi

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess that makes sense it would act like iTunes. I will be getting Nikon's new Capture NX when it is released later this year. I wonder if I should keep my photos on my network drive and just bring down photos as needed for projects.

Thank you for your suggestions.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just an update here. While I love the iLife interface for iTunes, I did not like it for my photos. I have used for years a system of folders and subfolders to organize my photos. Probably not the best way but it works for me.

So, I downloaded and installed Nikon's View 6.2.7 and it works just like the Windows XP version except with the slick OS X interface. It allows me to keep my folder organization and I just copied them into my account's Pictures folder. As mentioned above, when Capture NX becomes available, I'll add that to my workflow. For me, this makes the most sense.

I think if I was starting fresh with iPhoto, like I did with iTunes, I probably wouldn't mind it at all. :yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
I have you thought about Aperture or Lightroom (From Adobe/Macromedia)?

The one thing I dont like about iPhoto is exactly what you said. I have all my pictures orginized into albums, and when I did my first import into iPhoto, it didnt retain any of my folders/albums.

So I had to re-create them manually.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
JGruber said:
I have you thought about Aperture or Lightroom (From Adobe/Macromedia)?

I have but I really like the technology of Capture NX. Read about it here if you are interested: Nikon Capture NX

I should have said I use a Nikon D70 Digital SLR camera system. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.