Extension Cord for Power cord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I understand the extension cord is for those hard to reach places, and it doesn't block off the duplex 110-volt wall outlet...but why the special 2-prong connection? Wouldn't a standard 3' extension cord have worked as well for less cost in manufacturing? What benefit is the single-use plug?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What in the world are you talking about? Are you even talking about something Apple related? Because if so…you are being very very vague about it!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
What in the world are you talking about? Are you even talking about something Apple related? Because if so…you are being very very vague about it!:(

- Nick

I believe he's talking about this:

macbook-power-adapter.jpg

ac_cord.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe he's talking about this:

That would have been by guess as well.:) But we prefer when a person posts a thread that they give us enough details so we know what they're talking about…instead of having to guess!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Listen I warned you before Nick ... put new batteries in that crystal ball!

OP
N
Reaction score
Sorry Nick & Jon. I'm new, and had no idea how tough this forum could be. Next time I post (if I ever do) I will try to be more specific and attach pics. Yes, you nailed my items in question, however, I have yet to learn "why" the special 2-prong plug was necessary for connecting the charger. I'll try asking someone at a different site, who might understand the original question.

Reaction score
Sorry Nick & Jon. I'm new, and had no idea how tough this forum could be. Next time I post (if I ever do) I will try to be more specific and attach pics. Yes, you nailed my items in question, however, I have yet to learn "why" the special 2-prong plug was necessary for connecting the charger. I'll try asking someone at a different site, who might understand the original question.

No need to apologize to me....i didn't think you did anything wrong. All I did was post the pictures. I'm sure the proprietary connection was chosen for design reasons, since it is nice and flush.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll try asking someone at a different site, who might understand the original question.

Do what you need to do. But next time when you post a question. Include details so that everyone else reading it will know EXACTLY what you're talking about…and won't have to guess.

There's nothing worse than answering a question someone THINKS someone else is asking…and it turns out that it was the wrong question/answer.

You posted your question in the "Other Hardware and Peripherals" section…so this extension cord question could have been related to almost anything.

- If you posted in the Desktop area…then it could have been a desktop related question.
- If you posted in the Notebook ares...then it could have been a notebook related question.

You posted in the "Other Hardware and Peripherals" area. So it could have been anything.

GIGO!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I understand the extension cord is for those hard to reach places, and it doesn't block off the duplex 110-volt wall outlet...but why the special 2-prong connection? Wouldn't a standard 3' extension cord have worked as well for less cost in manufacturing? What benefit is the single-use plug?

Once further information became available, I believe that your question relates to why the power cord to AC has a removable attachment to the charger, which has another charging cable for the laptop.

Apple sells laptops throughout the world and countries have both different power outputs, e.g. 110 V. vs. 220 V. and need for different AC adapters. I use the 3 prong cable in North Carolina (shown below, left) and need the extra length for my usual place of use in my den. But different adapters can be used either on the charger itself or cabled depending on what is needed - below is another pic of adapters necessary for different countries - these obvious attached directly to the charger.

Also, the Apple charger's input voltage ranges from 100 V. to 240 V. (at least on mine) - output wattage to the mag-connector of course varies w/ the chargers offered. I hope that this addresses your question(s). Dave :)

125592306-260x260-0-0_apple+apple+macbook+air+power+charger+adapter+cord.jpg

Magsafe_45_w_power_adapter_for_apple.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once further information became available...

It certainly helps to have the appropriate data/details/and info to answer a question!:)

Great post Dave!:)

- Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.