How do I copy table table as plain text?

Reaction score
I copy music (chords/text) from a web site that has it in table format into a document, and then edit it to get the chords/words right, and print it for practices.

I used to be able to hilite the song, click copy, and then paste into (I forget, Write?) and it came in as plain text, with the chords still over the various words. (ie the table cells were gone).

How do I do this on my new MacBook Pro? I want to loose the table formatting but retain the spacing. I tried Notes but it keeps the cells, which makes it very hard to edit and have a "word" not look like "wo rd" when a cell breaks in the middle of it. paste and Match Style and Paste and Retain Style don't work either.

I tried Pages but it just dumps it all in some weird way - bunching up all the chords together with wrapping to several lines, and then does the same with the lyrics.

Example:

What its suppose to look like: (what it looks like on the web site) Update: its lost all spacing when submitting to this forum. The CHord (G, F, and C) and over the words 2nd "working", 3rd "working", and "life".
G F C
It's the working, the working, just the working life.

What Pages does with it after I paste it in:

G
F
C
It's the working, the*
working, just the w
orking l
ife.

What Notes does with it after I paste it in (sorta, it got worse when copied to this forum): Update: same thing, it lost its formatting when submitting this post. Arg.... the 2nd word "working" comes out as "wor king" with the G over the k. Same with the 3rd "working" and "like" comes out as "li fe" with the C over the F.

G F C
The working, the wo rking, just the wor king li fe.

Craftydad

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try using TextEdit instead of Pages. I routinely use TextEdit when I come across complicated documents with cells, tables, or borders. It usually works but does require some editing of the document.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.