Prepare External HD For New iMac

Reaction score
Technically, I'm a re-switcher. I had an iMac in 2011/12. Had to sell it for financial reasons during a horrible 8 month work-layoff. I'm back on my feet and getting a shiny, new late-2013 27" iMac in a few weeks. I've been using Windows 8 on a PC the last year and a half.

So, I have two 3TB external Western Digital MyBook harddrives. I've backed up all my files, pictures, videos and music on one. Both are formatted to NTFS. Should I wait until I get the iMac and format the empty one to Mac OS Extended or is Fat32 OK?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Format it to Mac OS Extended Journaled. You would be limited with FAT-32 to a single file size of no greater than 4 GB and would lose 1 TB of space on that drive because of additional FAT-32 limits on total size.

OP
Spellbinder
Reaction score
Many thanks. I will wait for the iMac and format then. Much appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.