Mac serial number

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17 8.1 upgraded to the last inch
Hi,

I am looking for a way to modify my MacBook Pro's serial number. The reason is that the logic board was changed twice (!) in Bahrain by the crappy Apple Service there (the only one in the Gulf region though) before they realized it was a faulty RAM issue. They have put in the number that is imprinted on the second motherboard instead of the one printed on the case (the original one). Now several software associations do not work anymore.

I have found software that allows to serialize Macs with NO serial numbers, but they all require that the number is blank. My case is different, I have to reset it to the original one. Apple service here says it can't do it, they want the machine to bear the motherboard's number, even if the case itself bears a different number - totally illogical for me.

Any ideas?

BTW my Mac is a late 2011 MBP Pro 8.1 (2,5GHz 17 inch)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No way you can do it. Apple Technicians use a special program and they only have access to it. Very odd they will not do that for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It sounds like you got hold of Apples "serial reset" software somehow and as you discovered, it needs a blank serial number to work and it can't be changed, so you're stuck with what it says.

You can always just use a sticky note and stick it on your Mac somewhere and have the serial number you want.. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.